Other People Part Two

John's P.O.V.
_____________

    "Karkat, hurry the hell up!" I wanted to get home before Dave so I could surprise him. Unfortunately, Karkat wanted to stop at a gas station because peeing in a hospital bathroom just 'wasn't comfortable'. I was pretty sure he had to do more than just pee. He had been in the bathroom for almost fifteen minutes now, and I was actually a little worried.

     I decided to go check on him, there were stalls so it's not like I would really see anything. When I walked in, Karkat wasn't in a stall. He was in the far corner, on the floor, silently crying. I wasn't sure whether or not he noticed me until he looked up and said, "I'm sorry, John." I took a step towards him, feeling my heart break the closer I got.

     "Kar, it's okay, everything is okay. Or at least it will be. Now, c'mon, you can cry in the car. I don't want you to get sick from this gross bathroom." At my words, his tears slowly dried and he stood up. I turned to walk out of the bathroom when Karkat grabbed my wrist. I spun around, about to ask what he wanted but I was silenced by his embrace.

     "Thanks, John, I mean it." Karkat whispered close to my ear before sniffling. He let go of me and started back to the car. I, on the other hand, was juggling emotions that I just couldn't quite understand. Emotions that I wasn't sure that I should've been feeling. Guilt, happiness, affection, all rolled into one, just confusing the hell out of me.

     While just standing there, spacing out in my thoughts, Karkat came back in the bathroom, "Are you coming, or what?!"

     I shook my head, as if to clear it, "Yeah..." And walked to the car, climbing in the drivers seat. The drive home was silent, but as we pulled into the driveway, Karkat began talking going over surprise party tactics. Getting out of the car, him doing the same, I looked at him and shook my head.

     "I don't want to throw a party, to be honest, I don't even think Dave would like it. It would be like, 'Hey, you lived, woooooo!' and I don't want him to see it that way. You wanna just wait until he comes back?"

     "Sure, I guess," Karkat grumbled. He took his key out of his pocket and headed for the door. I gave him a key because he's basically my best friend, he's been helping me out since Dave got sick. And he got tired of either banging on the door or crawling through a window. I didn't want the neighbors calling the police on him.

    Karkat unlocked the door and he it open for me. I walked in and headed for the kitchen. It was first stop whenever I got home, I was hungry and had just went out and bought groceries. Opening the fridge, I grabbed some string cheese. Leaning against the counter, I unwrapped the snack and began nibbling on it.

I was staring off into space when I finished my snack. I hope he gets here soon.  It has been a little over a year since Dave was diagnosed. I still find it surreal that he's finally okay. Letting out a sigh of content, I throw my wrapper in the trash, then go to the living room. Karkat was watching some cheesy drama show on Netflix.

     I shook my head and sat next to him. For some reason, I got hooked to the show and didn't realize how dark it was getting, or that Karkat fell asleep with his head on my shoulder.

     I smiled and wrapped my arms around him and closed my eyes, forgetting my life for a minute, comfortable. Before I fell asleep completely, I heard Karkat whisper, "I love you."