We Conclude That...

John's P.O.V.
______________

     When morning came, it was cold and unpleasant. Karkat wasn't next to me and I heard noises coming from the kitchen. I opened my eyes and groaned in protest to getting up. But I did it anyway and made my way to the kitchen.

    Karkat was sitting on the counter watching something fry in a pan. My brain made the connection between cooking and the smell of bacon. On the other side of the counter, I was well hidden, he hasn't notice me come in and he was facing away from me.

I crept towards him and grabbed him, pulling him towards me. Laughing as he practically screeched to the high heavens. I still had my arms around him so I rested my head on his back and sighed, "Why am I so tired? We didn't even fall asleep that late..."

    Karkat turned to look at me, slightly red, no doubt embarrassed about how I scared him. My arms had fallen away to let him turned but he grabbed my hands, interlocking our fingers and holding them up, like we had just won something, "I'm not tired, I woke up early and couldn't figure out what to do, so I started making food."

    When he spoke about the food, he let go of my hands and went back to the bacon, turn off the stove so they wouldn't burn. "Do you want to go visit Dave today? I know he was supposed to get out yesterday, but we should have check with the hospital when he didn't come back." Karkat was preparing something else, but I couldn't see what.

    Thinking about what he had said, I was struck with a sudden guilt, I hadn't even thought about Dave as much, even though I should have. I nodded my agreement even though Karkat couldn't see it.

    He seemed to know anyways as he answered, "We can go after breakfast..." I noticed his voice shaking as he said that but decided not to say anything about it, I assumed it was his nerves over what might've happened. Instead I wrapped my arms around him again, to see that he was cutting onions and sniffling. Oh, that makes even more sense.

Author's P.O.V.
_______________

    As John embraced Karkat, he didn't fully understand the other males emotions. Karkat had fallen in love with John a long time ago. He had kept a secret for years now, settling for being the raven-haired man's best friend. He couldn't stand the sight of John being upset like this. It tore him apart.

    The best he could was try to stop crying and help him out as continued to make breakfast. When he was done, they would go the hospital to find Dave and leave, Karkat would be out of couples lives again.

John again
___________

    We ate breakfast in silence, it was over quickly. I went to my room to get dressed, surprisingly, that took forever. I couldn't figure out what to wear. After another fifteen minutes, I decided to put on the very next thing I grabbed. That ended up being black jeans, with a black t-shirt and a black hoodie. Oh well.

     I got in the car, with Karkat in the passenger seat, and drove to the hospital. Karkat and I shared minimal conversation and small talk. It was as if the situation had made us strangers.

Time skip

    At the hospital, they told us that Dave had left yesterday. I looked over at Karkat, he looked as conflicted as I felt. I almost instantly doubled over in worry. Karkat grabbed my hand and held on tightly, I recognized this as a sort of comfort. I shook him off and stumbled back to the car.

    Is this his way of leaving me? What did I do wrong? Maybe I shouldn't have shook Karkat off. I could've been nicer.

    I shook my head to clear it. My thoughts had taken a turn. Was I really thinking about Karkat in that way? I waited for him to get in the car, I was sitting in the passenger seat this time. I stared at him, thinking, is it really possible that I'm developing feeling for him? That wasn't supposed to happen. I mean, I understand that he was the reason I climbed out of the hole I was in, so maybe, it's not so crazy....

    Over the next two weeks, we continued to go to the hospital, to see if Dave would show up. Me and Karkat had grow closer. I know what he had said when he thought I was a sleep. I had been meaning to talk to him about it, but I could never find the right time. Plus Dave going missing was not helping. The world knows that I wasn't ready for when I next saw him.