Curiousity Killed The Cat

The next few weeks were the same; nothing new or exciting. Wake up, go to school, fail my classes, spend time with my friends, try not to look like an idiot in front of Alayna, look like an idiot in front of Alayna and then scream at myself...okay, so maybe it is a lot. Everyday, I would buy snacks and put them in Alayna's locker. We never talked about it. I'll admit, I was curious as to why Alayna wouldn't eat lunch. Did she think she was fat? She shouldn't be thinking stuff like that, it's not remotely true! She's perfect the way she is and I don't want her to change anything.

The more I hung out with Alayna, the more comfortable I felt talking to her. Sure, whenever she said some things I would blush and be forced to look away, but other than that, it was nice talking to her. One day, while I was with her at her locker, I got the courage to ask her.

"Hey Alayna? Can I ask you a question?"

She giggled. "You already did, but sure."

"...Why don't you eat lunch?"

Her face fell and she went quiet. I didn't want to make her mad, but I needed to know.

"Alayna, please tell me."

"Stop."

"But I'm worried about you." I said.

"Well don't."

"Alayna-."

"Just drop it! I don't need you to worry about me! Just mind your own damn business!" She slammed her locker shut and stormed off.

I just stood there. She shouted at me. She's never shouted at me before...and it hurt. I felt a tear fall down my face and I quickly wiped it away. I took a deep breath. She only did that because she doesn't think she can tell me. I know something is up, and I'm not going to stop until I find out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We stopped talking to each other. In class, she would just stare down at her paper or phone. I wanted to talk to her, but I was afraid she would snap at me. So I did the only thing I could do: watch her. Not in a creepy way, I just wanted to make sure nothing happened to her. Every time I looked at her, I could easily tell she was upset. She would stare off in class, with no emotion on her face.

I continued leaving food in her locker, hoping she would still eat it. Most days she did, but sometimes I would see her throw it away.

She started to hang out less with me and the others and more with Adam. I hated it. I would see them talking and he would be hugging her and kissing her.

'That should be me.' I thought.

I shook my head. No, that will never happen. I was sitting at our usual table during lunch when Alayna walked in. I watched her walk past our table and sit at the table with her friends.

"Why doesn't Alayna sit here anymore?" Dylan asked me.

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Stella, what happened? We can't get a word out of you and you hardly touch your food anymore." Scar said.

I just stared at my tray. I didn't feel like talking and I didn't feel like eating. I stood up and threw away my food. As I turned around to walk back to my seat, I saw Alayna staring at me. I just looked down and walked out of the cafeteria. I just wanted to be alone for a while.

I walked to the bathroom and went to the biggest stall. I was in there for about ten minutes trying to fight away the tears, when I heard the door open. I kept quiet, hoping this person would hurry up and leave. They didn't. I didn't hear anything except for a couple of sniffles. I heard more tears escape from the stranger. My eyes widened. No.

I opened the stall door and saw Alayna with her back toward me. She was holding onto the sink, crying. She didn't know I was there.

"Alayna?"

She turned around and her eyes widened with shock. I felt my heart throb. She looked miserable. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying and her hair was a mess, probably from running her hand through it.

"Stella?" she asked hoarsly, wiping at her face. I saw a faint red mark on her wrist. "W-what are you doing h-here?"

I didn't say anything. I walked up to her and stood in front of her, trapping her between me and the sink.

"What happened to you? Why are you crying?"

She shook her head, more tears falling down her face. I had the strongest urge to wipe them away.

"Nothing, I just...my...I just found out my grandma died." she said.

I frowned. "Why do you lie to me?"

She looked up slightly. I sighed. "Please tell me...I can't stand to see you like this."

She didn't say anything. I was about to speak when she beat me to it.

"Why should I trust you?"

I took a deep breath. 'Please don't let her take this the wrong way.'

"Becuase I care about you...more than you realize." I slowly brought a hand up to her face and wiped away her tears. "I don't want anything bad to happen to you."

She didn't jerk away from my hand. She allowed me to wipe away her tears. Finally she sighed. "I'm...not allowed to eat."

I narrowed my eyes. "Who says?"

"...Adam...he says that I-If I keep e-eating then I'll g-get fat and then I'll be u-ugly and he'll leave me."

After she finished, she started crying again. The bell went off, but I ignored it. Instead, I did something I never thought I would be able to do. I grabbed Alayna and pulled her into my arms. She grabbed onto my shirt and cried harder.

I held onto her. "You cannot let him control you like that. You need to eat. He shouldn't be making you starve yourself so you'll look the way he wants. Your perfect the way you are and you shouldn't think otherwise."

She pulled away to look at me. "You really t-think so?"

"I know so. Your beautiful the way you are and if Adam doesn't see that..."

'Then you should break up with him.'

"Then he's blind." I finished.

'Pussy.'

She looked down. "Why are you so nice to me?"

'Because I love you.'

I shook my head and chose to ignore her question. "Tomorrow, your sitting with us and you're eating lunch."

"What about Adam?" she asked in a shaky voice. I didn't like that.

"Don't you worry about Adam."

A/N: I will say, this chapter hurt me. I almost cried writing that. *cries* My baby! *cries*
Any who, hope you liked this chapter. Please comment and vote!
-moonchild700