Chapter Seven

“Well...” he started, his grin disappearing as his gaze shifted to the grass beside him. He cleared his throat, a frown forming as his eyebrows furrowed together. “I was born blind, you already know that,” he lifted his head as he heard Jazmyn squeal, clapping her hands together as ducks swarmed  over a piece of bread.

I smiled over at her as she turned around and waved at me, then focusing her attention back onto the ducks. “And I guess when I was in school people never accepted me, I was always ‘the blind kid’ not Justin. I had had no friends, nobody to spill out all my worries to.” With every word he said his eyes became more and more dull. I wanted to hug him right there, squeeze his sides and whisper gently to him that I was here for him. I wasn’t going anywhere.

I’ve only known Justin for about two days, and all ready I felt as if we were friends. And I just hope that he felt the same. Pattie was right though, we got along really well and I couldn’t ask for anything more.

He carried on, “I had to work on these strange pad things, not on paper like everyone else. I was the odd one out, always have been and always will be.”

He drew in a deep breath and then hesitantly let it out again. “For about six years I was bullied by a guy named Damen. He didn’t like the fact that I was different to anyone else, he wanted me gone.”

I stared into his honey coloured eyes, listening to every single word he spoke. “and ermm- I’d considered you know- going. Cutting and such. Whatever you want to call it. But I never could, I’d always back out. And then, the next day I’d walk into school, get pushed into a locker. Damen would put me into a headlock and bang my head against the walls and lockers. I couldn’t do anything to stop him though, I couldn’t see him. Of course”

I fiddled with my nails, wanting him to stop yet for him to continue.

He let out a short, humourless laugh. “I’d come home with a black eye and I’d have to explain to mom that I’d fallen or walked into a lamppost. Poor excuses, and she wasn’t convinced.”

” And then when Jazmyn was born I was over the moon, she’s what keeps me smiling” an adorable smile formed on Justin’s pink lips, I smiled along with him.

“She never judged me, she treats me like I can see, like I’m normal” he nodded to himself, agreeing with the words he spoke.

“And, It kills me that I’ll never be able to see her beautiful face, at her wedding where everyone gapes at how gorgeous she looks I’ll be the only one that can’t see. I’ll have to paint an imaginary picture of how she looks in my mind, but it’s not nearly the same.”

A small glisten caught my attention, I quickly reached over and squeezed him to my chest. He hugged me back, tears ran silently down his face. He nudged his cold nose to my neck, causing Goosebumps to arise on my arms. I closed my eyes and ran my fingers through the short hairs at the top of his neck.

His breathing slowed down and then sped up as he cried into my neck.

I felt so useless, like I could do nothing but hug him and say that everything was going to be alright.

All I knew was that I would be there for Justin, by his side every step of the way. I would be his shoulder to cry on and his friend to talk to. I was certain.

We sat there, exchanging secrets and our past for at least another three hours. I could talk to him all day, was had so much in common and I felt as if I could be myself around him.

 “Courtney!” Jazmyn squealed as she ran towards me and Justin. We were all heading out of the park, walking along the windy path. Jazmyn would often run in front of us when she saw a daisy; and then give it to me. A light daisy-chain was slowly forming around my neck. I held Justin’s hand as he swung it slightly.

“Yeah Jaz?” I smiled warmly at her, we’d already grown a little bond between us. But nothing compared to her and Justin’s. She handed me another daisy, and I laced it with the last one she gave me.

“Thank you” She grinned at me and then ran off to another patch of daisies.

“Mom rang last night, she said she would be coming back around 10AM tomorrow, she told me to say she was sorry for not telling you. She had to stay longer that she expected.” Justin spoke as we walked together. I nodded to myself.

“Okay,” I smiled, squeezing Justin’s warm hand slightly.

“Justin,” Jazmyn whined, her arms stretched out in front of her. She yawned and her eyes were drooping slightly.

“Yeah Jaz?” we stopped walking as Jazmyn pulled on Justin’s sleeve.

“Can you carry me? Please?”

He nodded and placed her on his hip, she hugged his neck and rested her small chin on his shoulder. I smiled at her as she smiled back over his shoulder. We carried on walking and Justin laced our fingers together once again, I knew then that me and Justin would become great friends. Best friends if I was lucky.