Chapter Twelve

“Thank you Pattie, honestly it was lovely” I thanked her politely once I’d finished helping her wash the dishes along with Justin.

“Don’t mention it honey” She beamed, hugging me tightly. She smiled sweetly as I walked over to Justin; Jazmyn had gone to bed previously and so it was only us three left. Holding me around the waist like he had done the other day, Justin nudged his nose into the nape of my neck. I breathed in a deep breath as he let go, missing being in his arms already.

Kissing his cheek yet again, I wrapped my arms around his neck. “I’ll see you tomorrow yeah?” I whispered so only he could hear, Pattie had walked back off into the kitchen anyway. Leaving us to say goodbye to each other without restraining ourselves due to Pattie’s company.

He remained silent and simply nodded; a shy smile playing on his lips. “Bye Jay” I said, smiling wide as he did the same; muttering a quick goodbye into my ear as we enveloped each other into another hug.

“Bye Pattie, Thanks again!” I called, careful to keep my voice as quiet as possible so I wouldn’t wake Jazmyn.

“Thank you for coming sweetie!” she called back. Waving to Justin and kissing his cheek one last time, I walked out and onto the hallway. The door closed behind me and I took a minute to check my phone, for once in my life I actually had a message. A voicemail?

I held my phone between my ear and my shoulder as I fiddled around with my room keys. The door unlocked and I stepped inside as an awfully familiar voice bellowed out through the speaker.

“Courtney, your father and I decided to call you just to check up on how things are going, call us back when you get this” her bitter sweet voice rang out through my ear, I shivered as Goosebumps uncontrollably started to rise on my arms.

She had always had this effect on me, her stone cold expression when I walked into our house, her vicious glares she threw to me like daggers as I came down the stairs in the morning, wearing simply a t-shirt and a pair of Jeans. They all caused me to shiver like I was standing outside in the freezing cold.

 In a way she was the opposite to any other mom I knew, she would have preferred me to wear a flimsy crop top and a skirt that might as well have been a belt. I was going to avoid calling her back for as long as I possibly could, I thought I was never going to hear her sharp voice again. And now that I have it brings back awful memories.

I let my room door close by itself and I walked into the kitchen, setting my keys on the side. Once my hands were free I took my phone from between my ear and shoulder, staring at the now darkened screen in confusion. Everything was like a whirlpool, for so long I had tried to block out the depressing memoirs that were my mother. But everything had gone back to normal now, back to the starting line.

Every single thought that popped into my head that night was something about my mom. And after tossing and turning in bed for around about four hours I finally managed to get a little sleep.

************

Days passed, and the countdown to Christmas gradually grew shorter. The glistening white streets of New York were decorated with blinking Christmas lights, designed to represent Deer’s, bells, Christmas trees and of course Santa. Toy shops were constantly restocking, their musical toys and action figures flying out as stressed parents collected their child’s wishes for Santa.

It was now 19th December, and after searching through newspapers and catalogues’, I finally found the perfect place to spend the day with Justin and Jazmyn. Pattie had informed me later last night that she would be leaving New York for today, her work being very demanding at the moment.