Chapter Nine

I woke up in the middle of the night, as my bed slowly lowered. I opened my sleepy eyes and wiped them, getting rid of the sleep. I watched as a small figure climbed onto my bed and shuffled under my duvet. “Jazmyn?” I asked, confused as to why she was in my bed; of course I didn’t mind though. I heard a quiet ‘mm-hmm’ as she snuggled into my side.

Her small hands took a strand of my hair and she twirled it around her petite fingers. After a few silent minutes I heard her breath in then out a soft, deep breath, indicating she was now asleep. After I tried to fall back to sleep multiple times I realised it just wasn’t going to happen.

Huffing, I let thousands of irrelevant thoughts take over my puzzled mind. Right now it was around 3AM, so I figured I would have about seven hours left here, with Justin and Jazmyn. I didn’t need to pack up as I only had a small rucksack full of essentials with me. I knew, somehow, that I would see Justin often from now on. I’ll be sure to take Jazmyn to the park with Justin, that was, of course, if Pattie didn’t mind. I guess she could come with us.

Gingerbread, ah yes, I’ll make sure to feed him as soon as I get back to my room. I knew where he’d be right now; lying out flat in front of the fireplace. Whether or not the fire was still lit.

Soon, my mind travelled to shoes, coats, boots, clothes etc. I was a wreck, I could feel myself falling to sleep, but as soon as I did, I woke up again. Useless.

I decided to eventually give up, and watch through a small gap in the curtains, as bright lights blinked. As I have already expressed, I love New York. I just love the city, the lights, the busyness, just everything.

I watched silently as the sky grew brighter, and the beautiful sun came into view. The clouds and the sun made the sky seem a mixture of red and purple, an amazing sight.

A loud thump made me jump; I snapped my head over to the direction it came from. Right next to me, Justin’s room. I quickly sat up, careful not the wake Jazmyn, and then crawled off the bed.

Standing up, I steadied myself by holding onto the bedside table nearby.

As soon as the dizziness disappeared I rushed through the door and opened the next one slowly. Just in case.

I peered around the door to see Justin sitting on the floor, rubbing the back of his head. Upon hearing me take a step into the room he looked up, blushing. “Justin, why are you on the floor?” I felt like the most stupid person ever asking that question, but wouldn’t any other person be wondering the same thing?

“I don’t really know,” he said slowly, feeling the floor around him suspiciously. “I just stood up, and now I’m on the floor?” he said, although really it was a question nobody had the correct answer for. He looked up at me, or more, my direction. I smiled, still completely confused and dumbstruck, and helped him up. He was wearing a white V neck and basketball shorts, so I figured he couldn’t have tripped over the bottom of his trousers or anything.

“Breakfast?” was the only word said before he rushed out of the door and into the kitchen. I followed him, walking unlike Justin who practically sprinted. As I stepped into the kitchen, the cold tiles stung the bottom of my warm feet.

“Do you want me to get some waffles, I mean, I have a pack in my fridge” I said, as I watched him feel around for any sign of edible food.

“Uh, Yeah, please” he said, standing up from his crouching position and closing the cupboard door. I nodded, taking the keys from next to the door and walking out. I didn’t care that I was in pyjamas, it was 7AM, what did people expect?

I unlocked my door and stepped inside, instantly walking over to the fridge. Taking a pack of cold, cinnamon flavoured waffles out, I closed the fridge. Thinking it would be a good time to feed Gingerbread, I placed the waffles on the side and grabbed the cat bowl from the floor. Gingerbread ran to me at the sound of his food dish scraping against the tiled floor, typical. Not interested in me, only the food.

I filled his bowl to the right amount of cat biscuits, and then refilled his water bowl, and then placed them back onto the floor again.

I washed my hands quickly before grabbing the packet of waffles, walking over to the door and locking it behind me.

I walked back into Patties room and placed the keys back into the key bowl by the door.

I unwrapped the packet of waffles on the way into the kitchen. Justin was sitting patiently on one of the stools; placing three rather large waffles into the toaster, I took a seat next to him. The sound of small feet patting against the floor caused me and Justin to look over towards the door, where Jazmyn came walking through, rubbing her eyes with the back of her hands.

“Hey Jaz” Justin said, smiling as she climbed effortlessly onto his lap.

“Good morning” she said, yawning in the process so when she spoke, it came out muffled.

“Morning Jaz, I’ve put a waffle in for you, okay?” I asked and she nodded enthusiastically, her eyes growing wide at the sound of waffles.

I’ve got to admit, I loved waffles too. Laughing, I stood up and took the, now warm, waffles out of the toaster and placed one on each plate. I placed them in front of Justin and Jazmyn, as well as a bottle of Maple Syrup, honey, nutella and peanut butter. Jazmyn took the pot of nutella instantly and spread it over hers, as well as Justin’s.

I grabbed the pot of Peanut butter and Jazmyn grimaced, she stopped spreading the nutella and looked at me in disbelief. “What?” I asked, as she shook her head at me.

Just as she opened her mouth a loud, ear-piercing sound erupted as the doorbell rang.