Chapter Ten

“Honey! I’m home!” Pattie’s voice echoed throughout the room. I watched her silently as she dropped her bags on the kitchen floor. She took a moment to glance around the room; as if searching for the source of the syrup-like smell. “Mmm something smells good” she grinned, I smiled warmly at her as she kissed Justin and then Jazmyn’s cheek. They both squirmed at the affection.

“You’re early” Justin stated flatly, he looked down, almost glaring at the half eaten waffle in front of him; although obviously he couldn’t see it. Scrunching my eyebrows, I looked over to Pattie who seemed unfazed by Justin’s attitude towards her.

Pattie scoffed, “Someone’s not very happy to see me” she sang, rubbing Justin’s hair with her knuckles. Jazmyn seemed over the moon though, as she jumped up to her mom. Pattie held Jazmyn to her chest, and kissed her cheek ever so gently. Jazmyn swung her bare feet, and snuggled her small head into the crook of Pattie’s neck. It was cute, I almost wanted to join in with the whole Hug Fest; but that would be strange.

Justin, who was sitting silently with a face like thunder, pulled his chair back, the stool legs scraping against the kitchen floor. He stood quickly and stormed off through the door and into the hallway. The three of us stayed quiet, having no idea what to say. There was a loud thud as Justin whacked his door shut. Pattie rolled her eyes and walked towards the fridge with Jazmyn still on her hip. I was startled, gobsmacked to say the least. I hadn’t seen this side of Justin, but what could I expect really? After only being with him for two days or so. “Courtney, honey?” Pattie said, taking a carton of milk out from the fridge and placing it on the side. I turned, not noticing that my eyes had been locked onto the door Justin had previously stormed off through. “Would you like a cup of something? Tea, coffee? Or we have hot chocolate if you like?” she motioned her perfectly manicured hands towards the pot of tea bags and the jar of coffee.

“Oh-ermm no thanks” I struggled, my thoughts elsewhere. Deciding she would have a cup of coffee herself, Pattie placed Jazmyn on the floor who walked back around the kitchen counter and climbed onto the stool she was sitting on previously. I smiled at her, as she used her index finger to call me over. I stifled a laugh at her serious yet priceless facial expression and sat on the stool next to her. I leaned in as she was ready to whisper into my ear, both her hands cupping her mouth.

“I think Justin’s upset” she whispered, stating the obvious; although I gasped quietly, pretending to be surprised.

“What about?” I whispered back, she shrugged, pouting. “Do you think I should go see what’s up?” I asked her, she nodded. Okay then.

“Pattie, can I just go talk to Justin for a moment?” I asked as she turned around with a steaming mug of coffee in her hands. She nodded, taking a small sip of her coffee.

“Of course honey” she smiled.

Smiling politely back I turned, giving Jazmyn a nervous glance along the way as I walked down the corridor and knocked of Justin’s bedroom door. “Mom go away. I’m really not in the mood” he grunted, his voice muffled slightly as the door remained closed.

“Its Courtney” I said, the corners of my lips tugging into a small smile as I heard his feet shuffle against his bedroom floor. Soon, his door opened, and there he stood in just his basketball shorts, no top. I could see his top was laid out on his bed, along with a black pair of Jeans and a grey V neck. Not as if I minded or anything, he was very well built. He wasn’t too buff, but he was certainly strong. He had muscles for sure.

 He smiled, although his smile didn’t reach his eyes. “I came to see if you were okay” he nodded, a small glint appeared in his eyes, yet it disappeared as soon as I saw it.

“I-I’m fine” he stuttered, he struggled to find the right words, “I think I’m... overreacting”

Nodding, we shared a moments silence before I decided to speak up again, “Do you mind if I come in?” I asked shyly, he shook his head, smiling fully this time. Moving out from the doorway, he walked back into his room; I followed behind and closed the door after me. He sat down at the top of the bed cross-legged as I did the same. “Why did you leave?” I questioned, deciding I would get to the point rather than beat around the bush.

He just looked down for a moment before clearing his throat, “She came back early” he stated, although it seemed as if there was much more to it. I looked into his eyes, his cheeks turned a deep shade of rosy pink as he blushed, “and I don’t want you to leave” he mumbled. It took me a while to process what he said before I opened my mouth in shock.

A cheeky smile found its way onto my face as he continued to blush. “I don’t want to go either, but we’re neighbours, I’ll see you pretty much every day” I tried to reason with him, and it was the truth. I didn’t want to leave, but of course I had to. I couldn’t stay here like I had done the last two nights if I wasn’t needed. Now Pattie was here, Jazmyn didn’t need me. Justin and I had quickly become friends, and I was over the moon. Everything, well nearly everything, in my life was starting to turn around. To change, for the better.

He nodded, straightening up and smiling at me. But it was a forced smile, instead of taking the subject further I took his warm hands in mine. Cupping his hands I promised him, “I promise to call over here as much as possible, to see you, and Jazmyn” I added on. “We can go to the park and stuff; I’ll take you to the beach!” I exaggerated. I always loved the beach; I used to go with Mom, Dad and Renne. We’d build sandcastles, eat ice cream, do all the typical things whilst at the beach. I hadn’t been to the beach in ages though.

His eyes grew wide and a huge grin spread over his lips, a real one this time. We both chuckled as I let go of his hands, placing them back onto his lap. “Okay?” I asked and he nodded, that gorgeous, toothy smile of his remained on his perfectly plump lips. Oh god, what am I saying?

We just sat there, a comfortable silence engulfing us. My eyes uncontrollably gazed over him, he was so good looking; everything about him, both looks and personality, was perfect. And I was honoured to be able to call him my friend, if only he knew. “Anyway, I better get going.” I stood up from my sitting position as Justin did the same. Flattening down my top, which had managed to get a few creases, with my hands. We both made our way into the lounge, where my bag was. I collected my things, “Bye Pattie! I better get back to my room, see how the cats doing” I joked, as if I had anything to look forward to in my room, no offense Gingerbread.

“Oh dear,” she rushed over to me, “let me pay you...” she trailed off, shuffling about to find her handbag or purse. I really didn’t want any money though,

“Oh no, really Pattie I loved staying here, I couldn’t accept any money” I said as she stopped looking around and just stared at me, eyebrows furrowed, utterly confused. Jazmyn came running over to me from the kitchen. She hugged my legs, holding me down.

“Courtney! Don’t go!” she begged, her eyes growing wide as she did. Crouching, I released her hands from around my leg.

“I was saying to Justin before that I’ll see you plenty more times, I’ve also promised to take you guys to the beach” I said, whilst glancing to Pattie for permission. She nodded, a wide smile on her face.

I quickly kissed the top of Jazmyn’s head and then stood, walking over to Pattie who engulfed me into a big hug. “Thank you” she gently whispered to me, and I nodded. Justin just stood there, his eyes full of sadness yet again.

“Bye Justin” I hugged him, squeezing him tightly as he hugged back, his arms firmly set around my waist. I kissed his cheek quickly, leaving my lips tingly as I pulled away. He seemed star struck, his mouth hung open as a deep blush coated his, yet again, perfect cheeks. Taking my bag from beside my feet, I walked towards the door, waving.

“Bye!” they all shouted in unison, although Jazmyn decided she wanted to be overheard and decided to extend the e’s.

Laughing, I waved once again before walking through their doorway and closing it shut behind me.