Chapter Twenty Seven

Justin’s POV;

I rested my forehead against the car window, my forehead lightly vibrating against it as the car drove over small bumps on the road. Jazmyn was cuddled into my side; her breathing was heavy indicating that she was in a deep sleep. I had no chance of dozing off, however, because I was repeatedly hearing repeats of Courtney’s voice.

I still couldn’t believe that Courtney was now my girlfriend; that means I can call her mine... right?

I closed my eyes – not that it made much difference – and furrowed my eyebrows. Where are we even going? I can’t remember mom mentioning us visiting family for Christmas, maybe it was just a Christmas dinner? I can’t even remember me getting into the car; my guess is that Dad carried me whilst I was asleep, that certainly hasn’t happened in awhile.

The murmur of mom and dad’s voices filled the small space of the car, along with the rustling of what I guessed to be map pages being turned, and the constant hum of the car engine. I couldn’t concentrate on what they were saying though, as a horrible, guilty feeling pooled in the pit of my stomach. Courtney said she would come around today, it was Christmas Eve after all, and I was planning on asking her to join us for Christmas; from what I’d heard, she had no family figures to share it with anyway. What if she realised we weren’t home, when I hadn’t mentioned us leaving. I had no idea we would be going out in the morning though, of course.

“When will we get home? Courtney said she was going to come over today... A-And I was going to ask her to spend Christmas with us.” I spoke aloud, to no one in particular. The rustling of pages stopped as soon as I started to speak, the air growing thick with anticipation.

“Not for a while, Justin” my dad replied after minutes silence. My mom remained silent, only letting out a faint sigh.

“What? Why?” I frantically asked, I quickly sat up straight, careful not to disturb Jazmyn. “Courtney was going to come around today! I wanted to spend Christmas with her; she has no family to spend it with!” I spluttered out, my eyebrows furrowed and my lip quivering as tears threatened to spill.

“Listen Justin, I-I...” My dad let out a heavy sigh before continuing. “My next station is in Miami, and I’ve been offered a house over there. You always said you wanted to be able to play with Jazmyn in a garden, and this house is the perfect place for us to all start acting like a family again. I’ll be able to see you three every weekend, works only an hour away” He cleared his throat before deciding not to say anymore, leaving me with many questions, a hazy mind, a clenched heart and a tearstained face.

“S-So you’re saying that we’re moving to Miami, today?” A mumble of agreement only made my situation worse. “Why couldn’t you have told me sooner?! Preferably before I asked Courtney to be my girlfriend! I can’t leave her dad!” My voice rose as I thought of all the consequences of today. How was I to tell Courtney? How was I supposed to leave her as soon as I’d actually made a move and asked her to me mine? Everything was turning so terribly wrong.

How could they expect me to be okay with this? Were they expecting me to be okay with this? Because I certainly am not.

“We didn’t tell you because we knew you would overreact like this!” mom shouted from the front of the car, waking up Jazmyn whose weight left my side as she sat up.

“I’m not overreacting mom! Why can’t you understand! She was there for me when I needed someone the most, and now when she needs someone I can’t be there for her?! I’m leaving her all alone...at Christmas of all times!” my shoulders began to shake as more tears spilled from my eyes, I didn’t bother to wipe them away as Jazmyn’s small fingers came in contact with my cheeks, softly swiping them away.

Mom didn’t reply, and again the car was plunged into thick silence. “Everything will be okay, J” Jazmyn whispered, her choice of words only reminding me of Courtney.

“Thank you Jazmyn, I know” I whispered in return, kissing her forehead once before wrapping my arms around her protectively and attempted to fall asleep, as impossible it may sound.

*********************************************

I had miraculously managed to get a few minutes sleep, with Courtney on my mind, I doubted I would.

She’ll be wondering where I am, why I’ve left, why I didn’t tell her she would be on her own this Christmas. I feel awful, my clenched heart hurting now more than ever. I should’ve known it wouldn’t last, everything was just too perfect. My dad returning after years away, Courtney finally becoming my girlfriend... it was all bound to collapse.

Huffing, my eyelids fluttered open, brushing the skin just underneath my eyebrow. Jazmyn’s head had left my shoulder, and her presence had left my side all together. “Jaz?” I whispered my voice hoarse and groggy. Receiving a ringing silence, I felt around on the car door for the handle, knowing that the car was no longer moving. I pushed the door open and swung my feet out and onto the ground, noticing that there seemed to be not a trace of snow or ice beneath my feet, yet the air was still chilly and frosty.

Not knowing what to do, I stood outside for what must have been five minutes before light footsteps were heard. “Come on, here Justin” my mom spoke, taking my arm in her hand she started to pull me towards what I guessed to be our new home.