Chapter 10

"Dan?!" We hear from behind us, and it shocks me to the extent of falling off him. I don't recognise the guy, but Dan lets out a sigh of relief when he sees who it is, giving me hope.

"Oh, God, Sugg, don't scare me like that. Ever! If it was anyone else I'd be getting arrested, dude. I've never been more happy to see your sorry ass." Dan says, and I look at him with a look to say 'explain', my curiosity blinding any sense of embarrassment that came with what happened.

"Sorry, it's not my fault I was trying to take a stroll and I stumble across you getting off with someone inside a bush! And you're supposed to be looking for this Kira girl!" the boy says.

"I am Kira," I say. "Sorry but, what's going on?" I ask, turning to Dan.

"I apologise, Kira. This is Joe, my dumbass best friend who I decided to bring along with me in case anything went wrong. He's basically my Ciara. Just didn't know he'd be... interrupting us," Dan says, sitting up straighter. "...and we weren't technically inside the bush..." He murmurs, making Joe raise an eyebrow and grin as we both stand up, brushing off some of the dirt from the ground.

"Wait, so this is Kira? Damn she's way hotter than you said, what're you doing with Dan?! Joe Sugg, at your service," Joe says, the first part aimed at Dan, the second at me, but I know he's simply joking, and I laugh.

"Look, it was nice meeting you, Joe, and... doing things... with you, Dan, but my mum is gonna go ballistic at me. Dan, hopefully I'll see you later, but I've gotta run," I say hastily when I finally realise how late it is, that the sun has already set and the stars were already beginning to make an appearance. I'd do anything to stay out here and just stare at them, with Dan of course.

"Okay, yeah you're right," Dan says, pecking me on the cheek before I run inside, and I can hear Joe yell out a "nice meeting you too!"

Once I'm inside, I see Phil talking to one of the waiters, and my mother conversing with Lady Lester. Who to apologise to first? I decide my mum, I'm more scared of her.

I approach my mother and Lady Lester, beginning to slouch over slightly while clutching my stomach with both hands, putting a pained expression on my face. Phil spots me, and heads over to us. Great, now I can explain myself to everyone all at once. Ciara and Derek are nowhere to be seen.

"Kira, where have you bee-"
"I'm sorry, mother. I think I may have caught a virus of some sort. It is most unfortunate it has occurred on this night if all nights but after I ran to the restroom I didn't stop my projectile vomiting until a few minutes ago. I'm so sorry, Lady Lester, Phil," I say, feigning sincerity, wondering how I had just managed to put on such a smooth act. I was turning into Ciara.

"Oh, child, it's fine. Your wellbeing is much more important than your ability to dance, I'm sure. Even in sickness you look radiant, dear," Lady Lester beams at me and I smile back.

"Yes Kira, as you said, it is most unfortunate you have fallen sick tonight, but rest assured there was no harm done." Phil says, his eyes shining, and he places his hand over mine while I give him a smile, too.

"Well, I guess there's nothing we can do now..." My mother says, looking exasperated.

"Gosh, Helena, don't be so harsh on the child. Phil, take Kira somewhere she'll feel more comfortable," Lady Lester says, giving Phil a look I'm sure is telling him to get me alone, and I'm grateful as I see my mother ease up and plaster a smile on her face once again, even though it's probably because she agrees with Lady Lester's obvious plans to set us up.

"Come on, Kira, you probably don't want to be around all this noise if you're sick. Don't want you getting a headache, too," Phil contributes, and he begins to lead me out of the hall before I can protest. The sound of music and laughing slowly dies out, and I wonder where he's taking me, when I realise. We're in the kitchen.

"I always come here to sneak some food when I feel down," he laughs, gesturing for me to sit on the chair in front of him as he goes from cupboard to cupboard. Suddenly, a short, stocky woman appears at the door.

"Oh, hello Master Lester. If your mother is asking about the entrées again, tell her there's none left, we're already into serving dessert." She says, her smile turning into a grin when she sees Phil at the cupboards. "Oh, who am I kidding? Back for one of your late snacks, I assume? And this time you've brought a pretty girl, too," she says, smiling at me.

"That I have," he laughs, looking at me with a wink. "don't tell mother please, Chica, she'll make me diet," Phil says to the woman, who backs out of the room, pretending to zip her lips shut, making me laugh.

"That was Chica, our personal chef, she's more of a friend to me though," he explains. "That's sweet," I say, wondering what he's trying to find. After about a minute of rummaging, he pulls out a box, and a carton of milk.

"Your late night snack is... Cereal?" I say, laughing genuinely this time, and he puts a mock hurt expression on his face.

"What? It's not just any cereal, anyway, it's Derek's cereal - that's why it was hidden away." he continues to explain, and I know the grin on my face is prominent.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to make you have cereal," he laughs, his face lighting up. "Chocolate?" he offers.
"I would, but my mother says I have to 'watch my figure' " I explain, and his brow furrows.

"There is no way on earth you have to watch your weight," he says, handing me a piece of chocolate, "but I can relate. I'm 6ft and resemble a stick, yet my mother makes me diet when she finds me on these late night escapades." he continues, and it surprises me that he's made me blush, and how easy he is to talk to.

"I guess we're not so different after all,"

Phil's POV

It really is shocking.

Usually when my parents set me up with a girl, she's stepping on my toes and giggling ridiculously and doing all the other stereotypical 'maiden-meeting-royalty' things. It's like they have a never-ending batch of ugly sisters from Cinderella.

But with this one... It's different.

I wouldn't be able to imagine myself laughing with any of those other girls, let alone taking them down to the kitchen and sharing secrets.

She's watching me move around the kitchen while sat on a chair the wrong way around, her elbows resting on the top of the headboard, he beautiful smile entrancing me and complementing every other feature on her face. I don't know what comes over me, but I put my cereal aside and go to sit opposite her, checking if she's comfortable with the short distance between us. She doesn't flinch, so I continue.

"You know, Kira," I begin, staring into her eyes as she listens, (God that was another thing, she actually listens intently, instead of pretending she knows what you're talking about like an idiot) "you're really easy to talk to," I confess, scanning her face for her reaction.

"I... I was just thinking the same thing," she smiles, and my heart begins to grow wings at the sight of her happiness being caused by me.

And in the moment, I kiss her.