Chapter 22

When I wake up I'm in time with the sun rising, and I forget where I am for a moment before I look to my side to see the weight resting on me and realise it's Dan. I look down and my eyes widen, the bullet has been knocked to the side during his sleep, creating an opening in the wound where a small pool of blood has formed on the soil next to him.

I try my best not to panic or move, if I move so does he and he'll probably end up bleeding more. Oh God, why did I let him talk me into waiting until morning? Debating whether to wake him up, I realise I don't have enough time to list the pros and cons. I need to act fast. Just wake him up, Kira. I push his opposite shoulder softly so as not to correlate the pain with his abdomen, but it simply causes him to stir, so I press my lips to his and his eyelids flutter open.

"And what did I do to deserve this perfect wake up call, huh? God I can't wait until every morning when-" he begins in his croaky morning voice, yet, as much as I hate to, I have to cut him off.

"I'm sorry love but you're, you're- oh just look down." I say as he looks at me in confusion before looking and turning an unseasy shade of off-white. "Shit," he whispers to himself, before doing the worst possible thing and trying to get up before crying out in agony as more blood begins to flow from the now open wound.

"I'll call the paramedics," I say, the words leaving my mouth in such a hurry I'm surprised they didn't stumble over each other.

"We don't have time, my love. Th-This is all my fault but... I'm gonna bleed out before they get here. I'm- I'm so sorry."

Tears begin to blind me but I grasp his phone hastily regardless, dialling the number enlisted in his phone for the hospital. It goes past in a blur but Dan just makes things worse for himself, reaching into his bag for something before his strength gives up on him and he's back against the ground with a thud and a grunt.

I can barely remember the information I gave them, distinctly making out being told we're not supposed to be in the forest, and their response that they'll 'be there as fast as they can', but I rush back over to Dan before the dial tone even has time to tell me I've hung up.

"K-Kira" he lets out, not letting me stop him from propping himself up on his elbow as he tries to hide the tremble in his voice. "This is yours."

He opens his hand, in which lies a pendant, a small silver dophin with marbled shades of blue and green throughout, a gemstone for an eye. I can't hide my tears now. Dan must be certain he's going to die. He beckons me forward with his head and I see him try his best not to wince as I lean my head down low enough for him to put the chain around my neck and clasp it together. The metal is somehow warm against my skin from his hand.

All the colour has drained from his face and he's surrounded by his blood, the exsanguination apparent and his lip now quivering. He presses our foreheads together, his thumb swiping over the tears on my face as his begin to appear. I feel his breathing speed up and my heart skips a beat for a second and in a split second he pushes our lips together hard and I can taste all the familiar things about him that I'm used to have comfort me, I can feel the apology he's giving me. I can feel the goodbye.

As his head hits the ground everything drains out of me. I don't want to be here when the meds arrive. I don't want to see the only thing that gave me life, lifeless.

Before I know what I'm doing I grab his backpack, it's all that's left of him, and embrace his body one last time before I sprint away without looking back. I can hear the sirens finally begin to appear outisde the forest as I fall to the ground due to my legs buckling beneath me. The meds are no good now anyway.

I can't believe he's gone.

I am lost. I am in pain. I am alone.