Chapter 11

And in the moment, he kisses me.

It was totally unexpected, one second he's telling me about his strange cereal craving and the next his lips are on mine.

I can't say I didn't enjoy the kiss, but I can't say it was as good as Dan. When Dan kisses me, there's sparks, I just want to melt away into the feeling of his soft lips and....
Shit.

There I go again, comparing everything to Dan. But then... What do I feel for Phil?

It only lasts a few seconds, and when we break apart he looks like the kid that just got everything he asked for on his Christmas List. His striking blue eyes are gleaming, and his mouth is set into a wide grin, that begins to falter when he sees I'm not engulfed in the same joy. It breaks my heart to see his light being put out, so I play along and smile at him, bringing his back.

"Sorry, I don't know what came over me," he says, still looking into my eyes. I don't feel the same rush I do when I stare into Dan's deep pools of brown... oh my god Kira stop comparing.

"It's okay," I assure him with a nod, "but I really do need to get back and find Ciara," I explain, looking for any excuse to get me out of this situation.

"Yeah, yeah, sure, totally," he says, overeagerness prominent in the tone of his voice. "Oh but, before you go, I want you to have this," he says, and he pulls out a small black Ziploc bag from the inside pocket of his suit blazer, placing it in my hand and then waiting for me to open it.

I do so, to reveal a small brooch, of a lion. It's unique, I can say that.

"Thanks, Phil, this is so cute," I say, and he beams at me, resembling his mother.

"Y-you like it? I w-would have gotten a ring b-but I didn't know your size and I just l-like lions," he explains, suddenly adopting a slight stutter, it'd be wrong for me not to admit it was endearing and yes, made him slightly cuter.

"Don't worry, Phil, it's perfect. I'll see you later, okay?" I say, and he responds by kissing me on the cheek before I run out of the kitchen. Sure he's nice, but... he's not Dan.

It takes me a few minutes to remember what excuse I used to get me out of that situation... Ciara, right. Where could she be? I'd barely seen her all night.

I scan the room and lay eyes on her sat in the corner, sobbing. I run over immediately.

"Ciara?! Oh my gosh what happened?" I say, sitting down next to her and placing my arm on her back in reassurance of whatever has happened.

"D-d-derek," she begins, but just ends up in tears again. Eventually she just points where I'm supposed to look, and I see Derek, making out with a brunette in the middle of the dancefloor, two other girls on his left and right dancing provocatively against him. I knew something was up with him tonight way before we even got here. Now he's screwed over Dan and Ciara? This boy about to get bitchslapped.

"Oh my g- how could he do this?! He doesn't deserve you, Ciara. Come on, let's get you cleaned up. He's just an asshole. A fuckboy." I say, letting her link my arm for support through the crowd even though I barely know where I'm going.

Thankfully I bump into Lady Lester - never thought I'd say that.

"Sorry to bother you, your Ladyship, but do you have anywhere private I could take Ciara? Something... happened," I say, remembering it wouldn't be the best idea to tell Lady Lester that her precious son is a cheating prick and a Grade A fuckboy.

"Of course, dear," she says, smiling when she sees me (Phil must take after his mother), "upstairs, third door on the right is the guest bedroom with the ensuite. It's funny you should ask, as that's to be your room for the night, your luggage has already been taken up, but come to me if you need anything. Or Phil. Yes, go to Phil," she says, and I swear I see her wink, but I have no time to ponder on it as Ciara is getting worse by the second.

I lead her upstairs, manoeuvring past the guests once again, and find the third room on the right. As Lady Lester said, all of our luggage is in there. If Ciara wasn't a crying mess I probably would have appreciated the room more; there were fresh towels placed on the crisp new sheets of each of the two four-poster beds, and the ceiling had a gold border with intricate patterns engraved into the works.

"I-I just c-c-ant b-b-b-believe h-he'd do that t-to me," she says, as I pull up a chair from the desk near me and sit her down on her bed, I sit facing her.

"Look, Ciara, he's a douchebag. I know you're probably denying it now and blaming yourself but he is. And to be honest? It's better you caught him rather than him brutally dumping you without you knowing. He's just a toxic person who doesn't deserve you," I explain, hoping she isn't too hung up on him to understand.

To my surprise, she doesn't say anything, just pulls me into a tight hug until I can hear and feel her crying subside. I embrace her back. Even though she makes mistakes sometimes, so does everyone, I know she deserves better than this.

"Thanks, Kira" she says, pulling away from me, no longer crying but her voice still croaky. "I know it's early but I think I might just go to bed now," she says, and I nod.

"Me too," I decide. I would've gone back out to look for Dan, but inside is too risky with Lord and Lady Howell in there, and as it gets later more people are flocking outside into the gardens to dance under the stars. It'd be too risky, and Ciara needs me right now.

I smile at her as she goes into the ensuite bathroom with her toiletries and change of clothes, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

I wonder what Dan's doing, has he spoken to any other girls? Not that he doesn't have the right to... I mean, he's not my boyfriend per se... but is he even still here?

I consider going back down to see Phil, is he charming the rest of his guests? Is he hiding away with in the kitchens, is he thinking about me? I would really go and check but what if, like last time, he kisses me?

...And what if, like last time, I begin to like it?

------------------------
A/N: It's 05:47am and I just finished writing chapters 9, 10 and 11 kms but I love you guys so why not

(ESP you hett03 you da real mvp 👑)