Chapter 18

I run down the street as fast as I can with Ciara trailing behind me, before the taxi I can see parked near the supermarket finds another passenger. Using the open door to swing myself into the car when I reach it, I land with a thud on the battered leather seat. I figure out that Ciara isn't really cut out for this as I catch my breath, watching her reach the car panting. The driver, turns around and tips his hat to us, chuckling to himself.

"Gotta say, yer definitely in a rush the way yas sprinted 'ere. Where yas 'eaded?" he asks, Ciara showing me her broken nail even though she knows I really couldn't care less right now.

"Lester House," I say breathily before taking a deep breath and relaxing into the seat. There's nothing more I can do now to rush, we get there when we get there.

I try to distract myself by making small talk with the taxi driver, he's friendly enough but I keep drifting in and out of the conversation, my brain determined to make me worried. What if Phil knows my password and has found something he shouldn't have? What if my phone isn't even there and I never find the number? What if I never see Dan again? What if- "Kira! How do I fix this? You owe me so much, dude, my nail is broken. Broken! " Ciara brings me back to reality as always and I pretend to be interested in her nail for a few minutes. Surprisingly, though, she does manage to distract me from my thoughts and I silently thank her for her occasional narcissism. Then the car stops and I look up to see if we're at another traffic light. Nope.

"Ciara pay him!" I say, flinging the door open and running out as I hear her apologising to the guy, saying that I'm just 'excited'. When I get to the front door the gardener sees me and lets me into the house with a raised eyebrow - pretty much all their staff know me now but I guess that won't stop him for being confused as to why I'm so frantic. I worry for a second that Phil isn't home, and about the fact I've just barged into their house despite being here a few hours ago, but I run into just the person I need. I think it's the first time I've been so happy to see Phil.

"Phil!"

"Kira" We both exclaim at the same time as his grin widens at the sight at me, and I feel slightly guilty for not liking him until I remember how he really is and the resent begins to form again in my stomach. Also if I'm not attracted to him, why should I feel guilty? - you should never feel guilty for not feeling a certain way about someone.

"How come you're back here?" he asks, and I don't know whether to be relieved that he might not know he has my phone, or worried that he might not have it at all. I force a grin and reach into my back pocket, wondering if it'd make him happier to know his phone has been squished against my butt for the past few hours or so.

"Uh, I accidentally took your phone... I'm guessing you have mine?" I say with an edge of hope in my voice, trying to stop the panic and stay calm, I'm sure he has it. I hand him his phone and his confused expression disappears as he processes what's happened in his head. "oh, there must've been a mixup. So I'm guessing the phone in my pocket is..." he pulls out the phone in the front pocket of his shirt and presses the top button to reveal a black lockscreen. "... yours." he finishes with a smile, handing me my phone as I let out a sigh of relief. "Ooh, my phone's still warm from your pocket," he winks at me. What. A. Creep. I try not to get too distracted by my disgust and hastily fake laugh, murmuring a 'bye' before speedwalking back outside to find Ciara talking to the taxi driver – oh yeah, I forgot we would've needed a ride back, too.

"Hey!" I say to Ciara, beckoning her to come outside when she turns her head to face me, and she excuses herself from her conversation. We go around to the back of the taxi and she knows I have no time to waste, straight on with the questions: