21

I sat, perched on a branch, watching the spectacle. It wasn't really amazing, actually. Nick distracted Melany, whilst big Tara tipped the contents of a little vial into her drink. Now we had to wait. Wait until Melany found that she was suddenly extraordinarily tired. Hmm, how could that possibly be?

We waited, and waited, but nothing happened.

"You sure that stuff works?' I asked Merla.

"She should be fast asleep by now. Maybe she's immune or something? My brew has always worked so far."

I wondered who she's tested it on.

After another hour or so, Melany emerged from the Hollow Oak. She looked slightly tipsy, but no more. Suddenly something whirred past my ear, and she collapsed five seconds later.

Kay took the pipe from his lips. "Sorry guys, I was just getting a little impatient."

"So we see," Lorenzo said.

Flynn and Laura hoisted her onto our fabulous stretcher, and off we went, down to the river I swam in for training.

What a beautiful, moonlit evening.

Little Tara and Romeo awaited us, together with a barrel. A long, slender barrel.

Yeah.

The fit was just perfect. We slid her in, feet first. I just couldn't help giggling. Just to be sure, Lorenzo stuck another dart into her shoulder. Then we nailed the barrel shut, and shoved it into the river. The swift current soon carried her out of sight. I imagined her face when she woke up, somewhere on the other side of the Realm. I burst out into hysterical laughter. Soon the others joined in.

"What do you think you're doing?" a voice behind us demanded.

Shit.

I knew that voice. It was the girl with the wavy black hair. Next to her stood the chestnut boy.

"Oh, we're just having some fun," Laura said. "Following your very own example. With a little more creativity. We were just leaving." She started to walk back.

The boy blocked her way. "Oh no, not so fast. Who said you were allowed to leave?"

Laura looked around and counted us as if she was speaking to little children. Then she counted them. "You are outnumbered, what do you think you can do?" she said, laying her hand on her Shan. We followed her example in unison.

"I just want to say that you've been very dumb, very dumb," the boy said

"No, that's what you are being. Now get out of my way."

He stepped aside with a mock bow. One by one we passed him, and glared.