34

From a distance I watched them talk. She was blushing, he a little awkward. I had no idea what they were talking about, but they were, and it was kinda cute. The jealousy still tugged at my elbow now and then, and I tried to ignore it the best I could.

Slowly but steadily I would coax them together. At least, that was the plan. How exactly, I wasn't completely sure of yet.

I hoped it would work. The truth was that Draven needed a soft soul, me being just a bit too strong. It worked now, but wouldn't last. And no spark had ignited between us. We just weren't meant to be together, and in my view, Lia was the perfect candidate to be the one for him. Maybe I'd be next to meet someone, probably not.

Giggles interrupted my thoughts, and I looked up to see her shining, a broad smile on her face. I turned away to leave them to it. It was too quick to say, but it looked promising.

I felt sad. My companion was turning to another, albeit with my help. It probably would've happened anyway, just a little slower. Still, it felt like being left. Deep inside I wished I'd never tried to hurry them up, that I could turn back. Selfish thoughts they were, the ones everyone secretly – or openly – has. How far should one go to help another? How selfless can one be without constantly impairing oneself? It was a fine line that needed to be drawn.

Balance.

It was all about the perfect balance. Just one grain of sand too much or too little could disturb it. Life wasn't easy.

"It is a good thing you have done. Let him go. I know you only loved him as a friend, but I must warn you; Silera may not love. It is written in the law of the Renewed Era. Love is cursed for those who need to lead. Instead of leading, the are lead by love, and every decision is influenced by it. A weak point it is, a thing that drives one mad to either do anything for or anything against that person who stole your heart. Alyssa made that mistake, and almost turned our Realm to ashes," Rosalinda said, laying a hand upon my shoulder.

I nodded. The book I'd been reading lately told of all of that.

"I beg you not to try. A little love, for friends and family, is acceptable, but always keep it under control. And remember, the Realm always comes first. Now I'll leave you to it."

"Yes, I will."

I walked back to my tree and went to bed fairly quickly; it'd been a tiring day, with hard training, lessons and the first step in my plan.

#

Soft hands roughly dragged me out of bed.

"Get some clothes on," Sabrina hissed into my ear. "Get on with it."

What was going on?

In a daze I grabbed my trainingwair and a knife.

"What is it?"

"Keep your mouth shut. Don't ask any questions. You'll find out soon enough."

Without any warning she bound my hands behind my back and blindfolded me. I felt myself being lifted on to Jasmin.

Was I being kidnapped? But why was Jas cooperating? How weird this all was, Gods.

She gently flew down before starting to canter. I could hear I wasn't alone. Two or three other horses accompanied us.

I noticed that a knife was still attached to my belt, and – with some difficulty – I managed to take hold of its hilt. The razor-sharp blade cut through the rope like a hot knife through soft butter. But as soon as I moved my wrists, Sabrina's hands bound them back together – and took the knife.