45

She was gone too.

I had expected no more.

To where they'd gone and why was speculated on for many years to come, but I never joined those conversations. I'd made my peace that night, and knew it was for the best. Only one other seemed to.

The Rose.

She seemed to know almost everything, in the wisest of ways. Hopefully not about "the Plan", as we'd taken to calling it. Everything was or at least seemed ready, just a week to go. I got more nervous by the day, having the feeling that the whole world knew. Of course that wasn't true, and I kept telling myself so. After one last meeting, the day before, we made sure that everything was set. In just twenty-four hours we'd be enjoying the party.

On the day I turned sixteen, one year an adult, I trained in the morning and in the afternoon a small party was held in the field around my Tree. We danced in long dresses – yes, the boys and men too – as was tradition, and cornflowers and poppies were woven into my hair, and we drank the finest of nectars. At one point the Rose came up to me and said, "Come, walk with me."

I bowed my head and obliged, fearing that she knew of our plans. Once out of the party's earshot, she started talking.

"A year now, you have walked the Realm as an apprentice, the Apprentice, and you have changed, like all of us Silera do. There is much that you still must learn, before you can take my place. One of those things being the Realm. The way it functions, and thrives, yes, but also the actual land must be memorised, down to the slightest details. To do this you must travel, alone, and see all that needs to be seen. Not all at once, in one journey, of course, but bit by bit, until you know each valley and brook by heart. Not to forget the Ways, and where they lead. Where they can take you, if you train hard enough. On the way you must keep up your training, find your food and heal your wounds. Use all that you have learned in practise."

This went on for quite a while, and though I was most interested, I also kept a worried eye on the lowering sun. To my relief I noticed that we were on the way back to the Grove, having made a wide loop. When she left me I had to keep myself from running toward my Tree; it was almost completely dark. I hastily took my pack and headed east, deciding to take Jasmin at the last moment. She was much faster than me, and flew me to the chosen spot in minutes. The others were already waiting, relieved at the sight of me. I silently told Jas to go back and pretend that nothing'd happened.

Everything set? Laura asked.

Yup, just need to paint my face when we get to the other side, and get my clothes on, I answered.

In other words, no, was her response. But we need to go.

We moved forward in unison, picking our way through the crops. Not one by one, as we'd first thought, because thinking of six excuses was harder than one. We were "going out to check on some of the posts in Myran, Rose's orders". Not the best, but good enough.

Flynn communicated with the guards, who shrugged; such things were quite normal. Nobody checked who was hidden beneath the cloaks, but then, what was there to be suspected?

Once out of the forest and onto the plain, all of us transformed. They just removed their heavy cloaks, replacing them with light ones, whilst I changed and painted my face in the moonlight. Flynn got a bit too, as some knew him.

We mounted the three dark-couloured horses we'd taken with us, and tölted off towards the forest that encircled the city. Once there, it was a short ride to the other side, where we left the horses; all the city's stables were probably already jammed. In a brisk pace we strode to the road, and fifteen minutes later we joined the line to the East gate. Most people were going in, but some out too, making it slow going. Trying to push forward would draw attention and probably not work. So we waited, scattered along the line.