Guardian

Guardian

Josh sat in the Matthews guest room, at the edge of the bed with his head in his hands.

He missed her, but he wouldn't admit it to her. He didn't want to. He couldn't admit it.

The last time he saw her, she was with Zay. The worst part was, they were happy together. She was smiling, laughing. He looked at her like she was his world.

The thing that killed Josh the most, was that he let this happen. He told Zay that he could go for Maya, as long as him and Maya were still playing the long game.

Zay and him had grown closer because of this. Josh felt that he had to watch over Zay to make sure he was treating Maya like the princess she is.

The second Josh heard the door open he shot up from the bed. He came into the living room to see Maya storm into the apartment. Riley and Lucas trailed behind.

"I can't believe him," Maya rolled her eyes

"What's going on?" Josh asks. Lucas looks at him and shakes his head meaning 'you don't want to get into this'

"Zay" Maya snaps

Josh clenches his fist.

'Calm down, Josh. You don't know the whole story'

"What about Zay?"

"I warned you." Lucas mumbled

"He went to Texas,"

"Why is that a bad thing?"

"Sorry let me re phrase that, he went to Texas to escort his ex girlfriend Vanessa to prom!" Maya exclaims.

Josh could feel the anger in his stomach grow.

"But isn't your prom this weekend?"

"Yes! It's this weekend! And he bailed on me to go with his ex! What am I suppose to do now?" Maya was on the verge of tears. She didn't want to cry in front of Josh.

"I mean" Josh rubs the back of his neck "I could take you, if you wanted of course"

Josh couldn't believe the words that came out of his mouth. He wasn't thinking straight. All he knew was the girl he loved was hurting and he wanted her to not hurt. He wanted her to smile, and laugh.

Maya was taken back by his words as well. She figured Josh was over her. Still it didn't stop her from blushing.

"You'd do that?" Maya asked

"I mean yeah," Josh told her

"Lucas I lost my phone, come help me find it," Riley says

"Riley-"

"Now, in my room,"

Lucas got the message and followed his girlfriend. Shooting Josh a thumbs up.

Maya stepped closer to Josh.

"Okay" Maya smiled

Josh clears his throat.

"Maya hart,"

"Yes!"

"Let me finish," Josh laughs at the eager girl in front of him.

"Okay go,"

"Maya hart, will you go to prom with me?"

"Yes!" Maya squeals throwing her arms around Joshs neck.

Josh smiles and pulls her close to him.

This is what he wanted. He wanted her.

*Later that week*

Today was Mayas prom and she couldn't be more excited. She missed Josh. She wouldn't admit it to him or anyone, but damn she missed him.

She wore her black gown (Eyes Wide Open Dress). Her hair was in waves and her makeup was done to perfection. Riley squealed at the sight of her best friend.

"I'm nervous Riley" Maya breathes

"It's okay peaches, you and Josh are practically in love,"

"Riley!"

"I'm just saying"

"Girls! Your dates are here!" Cory yells

Maya takes a deep breath. Her and Riley link arms and walk to the living room. There the stood. Josh and lucas. The two of them in their black tuxedos.

For the first time in Joshs life, he was speechless, completely speechless. He was at a loss for words. Maya took his breath away.

"Y-you look, fuck wow you look breathtaking" Josh told Maya.

Maya blushed

"Thank you Josh," she smiled

"Picture!" Topanga yelled.

Everyone groaned but they all secretly wanted pictures so the could cherish this day forever.

The all took pictures, cute pictures, silly pictures, serious pictures. Topanga thought it was the cutest thing how happy everyone was. And Cory was happy to see his younger brother smile the biggest he's ever smiled.

"Well you four better head out," Cory smiled

"Yeah let's go," lucas says

Josh grabs Mayas hand and they begin to walk to the door. Before they reached the door it swung open.

Zay stood there in a black tuxedo.

"I'm here!" He gasped

"Dude did you run here?" Lucas asks

"Yeah, from my house" Zay replies taking deep breaths.

Maya pulls her hand away from Joshs.

"Zay what are you doing here?" Maya asks

"I wasn't going to let my girlfriend go to prom alone," Zay smiles at Maya.

Maya smiles back but feels guilty. She was suppose to go with Josh. A part of her wanted to go with Josh.

"Zay" Maya says at a loss for words.

"Josh! What are you doing here? Why are you wearing a tux- oh." Zay put together the pieces

"Zay I-"

"Maya," Josh calls her

She turns around to look at him.

"It's okay, go with Zay. He was the one you wanted to go with in the first place," Josh tells her trying to ignore the pain he was feeling by saying those words.

"Josh you-"

"Thanks man! Cmon lets go guys! We don't want to be late!" Zay smiles.

Zay grabs Mayas hand and she follows him out, looking back and locking eyes with Josh who gave her an encouraging nod.

"Josh!" Topanga yells

"What?"

"What are you doing?! That's the girl you love! You're letting her go!"

"Topanga what am I suppose to do? They are together. She's happy with him"

"She's happier with you," Cory tells his brother. "As much as I find it weird that she could be my sister in law. You two are in love"

"What do I do?" Josh asks the pair helplessly

"Go crash her prom"