The Surgeon 2

A weight has lifted

A weight has lifted.

I feel so much better having told you the reality of my life.

......

The Surgeon is away at a conference. I like it when an ocean separates us.

Dad relaxes my supervision a little, which makes it easier for me to sneak away and talk to you.

 ......

When The Surgeon is home, I'm supervised 24/7.

Fortunately, being a world-renowned medic she is in demand for talks all over the world.

Recently, she's been invited to talk at 'Missing Children' conventions, to discuss the psychological burden of being a parent with a lost child.

 Yes – The Surgeon is also a lying hypocrite.

 ......

It's incredible to have these small bursts of freedom, without my supervisors following me everywhere.

Dad says, "When Mom's away I'm gonna let you have an hour in the morning and one in the evening without your security. This is our secret, and I'm relying on you not to abuse my trust – you hear me, Princess?"

 ......

 I heard him. But I didn't listen.

This morning, I did something that's totally BANNED.

I tied my hair back, went into the woods and pretended to play soccer (football.)

I rushed back, did my hair and make-up just in time, "Good morning Princess, you look real pretty today," said Dad over breakfast.

 ......

Being Thomas again for those 20 short minutes was incredible – it gave me such a rush!

 ......

 I miss ME – my real SELF – so much.

......

This blog is a real risk too. But I am a digital native, tech and web savvy – my parents are not – I'm confident this is secure.

 ......

The Surgeon is going to be away for a whole week – AMAZING.

 ......

These little snippets of time, when I can be Thomas are enriching my life. They give me purpose – hope.

 ......

Last night, Dad and I Watched (via a live web cast) The Surgeon giving a talk on the future of Organ Transplantation to a room full of eminent physicians in Pennsylvania, USA, "Look at your Mom, Tanya – you must be so proud of her," said Dad, his own pride pulsating from his every pore.