The Surgeon 39

As we watch the black hummer containing Merton and Medic disappear in the distance, I have a sudden thought: that was all a bit too easy.

Kade dives back up into the operating bus. I’m right behind him.

I arrive right in time to see something gross: the woman winked at Kade.

And worse, Kade high five’s her, “You did real good, makeover woman!” He hollers.

This familiarity, this kind of connection between them bothers me.

Kelly rises and tears at the prosthetics on her face, “Phew, my stitches were getting really itchy, I thought I was gonna blow it at one point,” she says.

As I watch Kelly peel off her prosthetics I’m hit with the sudden implausibility of it all. I shake my head, “This doesn’t make medical sense. Her face is just skin, transplant it on to mine and it would mould to my underlying structure, I’d still look like me.” I say.

The woman’s response is immediate, “The planned procedure involved removal of the frontal cranial structure along with underlying tissue and skin, then fusing it with yours. That’s why I have my male colleagues, I needed muscle to hammer and hack through skull,” she says.

Kelly removes the final piece of her prosthetic, “That’s sick,” she says, while ripping out her stitches.

I’m still doubtful, “There’s no way I’d be recovered from such major surgery in a week,” I suggest.

“That’s very true. But it’s feasible that you could walk down the aisle in a week. And besides, that was part of my remit, to have you ready to meet their wedding deadline,” she says.

This woman does seem legitimate. Her body language and rapid answers seem to come from a place of truth. She doesn't hesitate, stumble or seem overly rehearsed, all the usual tactics of liars.

I begin to relax – a little.

Kade resumes his leadership stance, "OK folks, we gotta head back to the fort and plan our next moves. We haven't got time for complacency," he says, opening up the back of the bus.

There's something else I need to know from this woman before I head back anywhere, "Wait, one last thing: why did my parents change my gender?" Kade's immediately impatient, "You know why. It was one of their clinical experiments," he says.

I glance at Kade, "Please, let her tell me what she knows, this is important to me." I see a sudden flash of sympathy in his eyes, "Sure thing," he says, closing the door, gently.

The woman leans against the operating table, "Kade is correct. From what I understand, your parents were approached by a very large organization to conduct a clinical study into whether gender and sexuality can be fluid..."

..."What does that mean," I cut in.

"They want to discover whether female gender and sexuality can be learned and accepted if the male gender is removed without consent," she says.

Kelly jumps from the table, "Why did they choose to do it on their son, why not kidnap some random kid, like they always do?" She asks.

The woman hesitates, for the first time she seems unsure of what to say. I move closer, “Kelly’s right, why did they do it on me?” I ask, while searching her face, still looking for any clue that she’s lying.

She stares me in the eye intently, which is a pretty good indicator of truth, “I’m not sure it’s my place to tell you,” she looks at Kade and Kelly, “or indeed any of you,” she says.