The Surgeon Sequel - The Twins: Part 7

The dark shadows continue to move forward, following Kade. I can just make out their shape; they’re most definitely human, clad in hooded black robes, which afford them a sinister camouflage within the forest.

“Kade – be on guard, there are people following you,” I shout. He stops and grapples his disabling device from his pocket. The figures stop with him – watching.

I pick up my pace and catch up with him. I’m charged up and ready to use all I’ve got to defend ourselves from what I assume are The Twin’s disciples.

But it’s not the shadowy shapes that smack us first, it’s Kelly’s harsh words, “Oh here they come, my other brother and the thing he calls his soul mate.” She glares at me, with a rage in her eyes I’ve never seen before.

My unease is compounded by the fact that I can hear what sounds like giggling coming from the forest. I listen intently and can definitely hear a muffled, low level laughing.

I remain hyper focused on the forest and my friends.

Troy wipes Kelly’s spittle from his face and turns to attend to baby Belinda. Kelly erupts again, “Don’t you turn your back on me,” she shouts, slamming her fist into the middle of his back. He’s winded but his instinct is to protect the crying baby in his arms.

Kade and I exchange worried glances as the sinister laughing from the forest increases in volume.

I pull open the door of our vehicle as Kade grabs Kelly’s arm, “I don’t know what’s got into you, but you’ve crossed a line, sis,” he says, pushing her toward the open door.

Suddenly, with an alarming strength – Kelly’s fist smacks Kade square in the face and I hear a sharp cracking sound.

WTF – loud laughter and applause emanate from the forest and Kelly beams a smile as she turns to me, “He doesn’t love you. No, he feels sorry for you. He’s taken pity on you. My brother’s too nice to tell you the truth, so let me spill it – he thinks you’re a total freak a thing an it. Do the right thing – let him go so he can find a real girl.” I’m stunned by the hate in her words.

Kade grabs my hand and muffles through the hand that covers his face, “Don’t listen to her…”

…When Kelly swings her leg back to kick him, I grab it and slam my Disabling Device into her thigh, giving her the full dose.

She throws her fist back, but the sedative kicks in fast. Her smack on my face is like being hit by a wet lettuce – limp.

When I see her wobble, I gather all my strength and throw her into the back seat.

Back on the road I check either side of me, the disciples are still there, but their laughter has subsided. Yet they continue to observe.

Troy puts the baby into the car, “I’ll drive Tanya, you see to Kade then let’s get out of here,” he says, jumping into the vehicle.

......

In the vehicle I gently lift Kade’s hand from his face. It’s a mess, his nose totally smashed!

 “Step on it Troy, he’s hurt real bad,” I say, pinching his nose to stem the blood loss. 

……

As we drive I note the dark hooded shapes retreat back into the forest, to their leaders – The Twins.

Shudders.

……

I nestle Kade’s head in my lap; protecting it as best I can. But he squeezes my hand at the pain of every bump in the road. “We’ll be home soon and get you fixed up. And tonight, the hot chocolates’ on me,” I say with a reassuring smile.