The Surgeon sequel - The Twins: Part 4

Baby Belinda sleeps soundly, bound to my chest by a sling made from my t-shirt.

The Nanny continues to guide the tree creatures onwards whilst Kade and I follow. “You do realize that if you’re planning to feed my sister and Troy to these things it ain’t gonna happen, cos Tan and I will stomp on every last one of the little monster’s before they get a chance to chow, “Says, Kade.

A gentle chuckle inflates her veil slightly, “You mean your brother and sister, I guess this a concept you have yet to get used to,” she says, in a strangely comforting voice.

A sudden shriek halts her and a crowd of creatures crash into her – “NANNY!” We all swivel to see The Twins; they're standing on the tree house platform, both drenched and dripping with blood. It’s clear that Twin:1 is the main spokesperson, “Move faster. My sister and I worked hard to capture and secure this morning’s feed and our baby’s are ravenous!” She says, in a cold, hard voice.

Kade is about to shoot back but The Nanny lowers her veiled head, “No Kade, please, exercise restraint,” she pleads.

We both note the despair in her tone and remain quiet. “Continue to walk with me, and don’t look back!” she whispers.

It’s hard not to glance backward, but we both resist the temptation and continue to walk alongside The Nanny.

Kade and I exchange glances that say, ‘let’s watch, wait and listen before we act.’

……

The landscape darkens as the advancing woodland increases in density. I look at the tree creatures and observe their strange little gallop, trying to ascertain what kind of animal is inside these soft toy/doll hybrids. But nothing obvious springs to mind.

“Why didn’t you want us to look round or say anything?” Asks Kade. 

Her voice is low, “There is no need to dwell on their horrific sight,” she says, increasing her pace onwards.

......

The bad smell intensifies as we travel deeper into the woods and I have to stop, “NO! I can’t go any further without throwing up,” I say, covering my mouth and nose.

The Nanny pulls a small round tin from a deep pocket in her bridal gown and hands it to me, “Here, smear a little of this under your nose,” she says. It’s a thick substance and its intense floral smell immediately overrides the rotten odor.

I scoop up a second finger full and smear it all around Kade’s nostrils; his face registers the same relief. I do the same with baby Belinda, her nose twitches but she remains soundly asleep.

As I put the lid back onto the small tin pot, I’m aware of the Nanny’s intense glare from under he veil, “You two are so good together,” she says, with a sincere voice. “The way you take care of each other, so spontaneously – it’s rare to see such a selfless bond between two young people. You must never lose that. The love that flows between you is a great gift: cherish and protect it, nurture it, don’t let life dull it down.” She says this with a wistful voice that suggests a deep sadness.

But I confess I wasn’t fully focused on her words. No, something underneath her veil distracted me: a movement, a large and unnatural shifting that startled me.

Kade snaps back to business, “That’s nice of you to notice, Nanny. But, let’s get back to reality. Tan and I are eager to make sure these things aren’t gonna chow on two people we care about.” And what’s with the smell, what’s causing it?” He asks.

“That’s the forever fragrance, this place is saturated in its foul fuel. It’s the remnants of sacrificial slaughter. It seeps into the ground and permeates the air with an evil odor,” she says, gliding onwards with her entourage scurrying hungrily behind her.