Chapter 16: Palace

The rest of the Prince' journey home was uneventful and smooth. He had been concerned about Myshka because of the long ship journey but she did not face any difficulty after she found her sea legs within the first week. Despite the lack of trouble, Emtilov was quite relieved when they finally saw land ahead and he could see the city walls.

His city. The term felt foreign to him because all his life he had never felt at home here. Which was one of the major reasons he had left in the first place. All his life had been an elaborate search for home, he realised. All the killing and the battles, all the new territory, all with the hope that maybe, just maybe he'd find a place where he'd belonged. A place he could call his own. A place where he had people to love him and he could love them back. His musings made him sober, and he was slightly worried now. How could he bring his wife to a place he himself couldn't call home?

As the anchor went down at the harbour, he realised it was a bit too late to change his decisions. He was here and there was no room for doubts. Doubt was weakness. If his mother or brother found even the slightest hint of weakness they could easily tear him apart. He had to be strong and cunning, not only for himself but for also Myshka's sake. He looked back to see if she was anywhere to be found. Of course not. The girl had to make everything difficult for him. He sighed and went searching for her.

He saw Belothra and Rahara organizing the luggage and went to them first. They hadn't seen her since last night apparently since they were busy. Next he went to Nitya's room feeling sure that she would know. He found Myrrha there but no sign of his wife. Feeling a bit panicked he gave his guards instructions for her to be found. As they searched all over the ship and found her room completely empty, Emtilov knew. She had escaped or someone had taken her!

He had no idea how she or anyone had managed it but that had to be the only two conclusions. Everyone saw her till the previous night and this morning she had disappeared. She couldn't have possibly gone far could she? They or she herself must have taken a boat. A boat! Of course. Emtilov went to check if any boats were missing and found a lone figure standing in the crow's nest. Her hair billowing in the wind going wild, her arms outstretched. When his heart had stopped beating wildly, he made his way up the mast swiftly.

****************************************************************************************

Myshka looked out to the water. Last night, she had been trying to make sense of everything that had happened the last few weeks and had needed a moment to herself. Telling her companions she was going for a midnight stroll, she had left with a blanket searching for a lonely corner.

On seeing the guard in duty on the crow's nest she had dismissed him and made the place comfortable. She was astonished by the view. Vast expanses of water for as far as she could see, the clear night sky overhead sparkling with a plethora of stars, and a gentle breeze blowing. She had forgotten all about clearing her head and had been totally humbled and in awe of God's creations.

She reminiscenced about the days when life had been infinitely easier when she was a kid and her father still alive. Her father had been a tough man but always made time for his daughters at night. He didn't talk much but always managed to convey his lessons to them. She liked to believe that he was a star in the night sky right beside her mother. Childish beliefs but ones that kept her sane and gave her comfort when she needed it.

After a very long time she had felt at peace even though she wasn't supposed to, after all she was still a captive and so was her sister. She couldn't help it though. For the first time she didn't have to worry about different clan problems, whether her sister was alright and her personal training. She could just for the night forget her problems and be at one with nature. She did forget so much so that she fell asleep right there. She was surprised that no one had come searching for her when she got up in the morning feeling quite stiff indeed. Then she realised her companions were excited about going home and had maybe forgotten about her. Myrrha probably shared in their enthusiasm. The girl had adapted to her companions like they were her long lost sisters. She didn't seem the least bothered about escaping. Myshka sighed out loud and raised her hands to feel the breeze. Her hair as usual was being unruly and wild. She'd have to get Myrrha or Nitya to untangle it sometime later.

Suddenly she felt a presence behind her. A heavy commanding presence. She knew instinctively who it was. Prince Emtilov was breathing heavily like he'd just ran a marathon. He didn't say a word. She quietly stood at a side to accommodate his large frame. His hand went up as if to touch her but stopped short when she flinched.

"I couldn't find you. Everyone was searching all over. Thought that someone took you or..." The Prince' voice was hoarse with emotions and he was babbling a bit. He looked quite shaken.

Myshka frowned but didn't say anything.

"Or you escaped." He said clearing his voice so that it went back to normal. Get a grip, Emtilov! He reprimanded himself.

Myshka rolled her eyes.

"You shouldn't worry. I wouldn't go anywhere without my sister." She said dryly.

"Listen where we are going....Let's just say people don't like me so much. Infact I'd even say they hate me." He said in a calm measured tone. He didn't want to alarm Myshka but she had to be prepared incase she got any stupid ideas.

"I wouldn't know why? After all you are so lovable aren't you?" Myshka continued in the same dry manner.

The Prince huffed in exasperation. Stupid girl! She just didn't get the gravity of the situation did she?

Emtilov pulled at her arm and forced her to look at him.

"You are in danger just by being my wife where we are going. People will try to get to me through you so don't you dare get any stupid ideas like you know, trying to escape! My mother and brother will exploit any and all weakness and if something happened to you because of me I'd never forgive myself! Are we clear?" He practically shouted and then released her and turned himself away to try and compose himself.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked back to see Myshka looking at him intently.

"I'm right here. No one can get to me because I won't let them. I can protect myself." She spoke fiercely but in a soft voice. Then she gave a cheeky grin. "Infact I could protect you too, you know. You look like you need it."

This worked and the tension broke. Emtilov cracked a smile and then he full on grinned. Myshka smiled slightly and then abruptly she stopped and made her way down the mast to find her sister.

**************************************************************************

There was a lot of movement in the entire ship as everyone got off and the cargo was emptied. Of course the Prince and his entourage got off first. The city was barely half a days journey and the Palace was inside in the heart of the city.

As soon as Myshka was refreshed enough to travel again, a palanquin was brought to her and she was asked to get in. Rahara had dressed her in traditional Drameran attire for her first glimpse infront if the whole city. Myshka promptly refused and kept refusing till the Prince came.

"I will not travel like a prim and proper Princess. I am a warrior and I demand a horse." Myshka roared at him.

"You sure do have a lot of tantrums for someone who claims not to be a 'prim and proper Princess', Princess." Emtilov grinned devilishly.

Myshka was infuriated even more, her nostrils flaring and her cheeks aflame, her eyes flashing. Emtilov couldn't help it, he just had to do it. Swiftly before Myshka could realise his intentions he bent down and planted a kiss on her cheek before taking advantage of her shocked distracted state and shoving her inside the palanquin and closing the doors.

"Make sure nobody lets her out." He said grinning at Rahara who had watched the whole exchange with growing amusement.

The Prince then proceeded to ride away infront of the palanquin wearing his royal robes. Myshka's protests were heard as well as her banging from inside. It really was a comic scene because the palanquin bearers didn't so much as flinch because of the upheavel from inside. Eventually all noise stopped and it looked like Myshka had given up.

The Prince looked up towards the direction where the city walls loomed ahead. Maybe this time he'd find the city a little more accepting. Maybe this time he had found his home.

***************************

And it's done. Another chapter done! Yay! However it might be absolutely crap.....in which case you need to tell me and I'll try and improve it. I swear I feel likw I'm always on caffeine nowadays. ..becoming an addict for sure. #collegestudentproblems :3