The First Task, Part One

It was noon the day of the First Task.

Nico shoveled food into his mouth; he wasn't nervous, at least not enough to feel like if he ate he'd chuck it back up, and he knew from experience that more food equaled more energy. Nico had faced much worse than some dragon on an empty stomach, but it would be nice to have that extra energy running through his veins.

It did not occur to Nico that he no longer needed mortal food, that he could get by on just nectar and ambrosia, and that as an immortal god, he had more than enough energy as it were.... until Apollo came rushing up to him.

"Hey, kid," Apollo grinned dazzlingly. "You-- what are you--"

"I'm a dumbass," Nico said with a blank face. "Such a dumbass."

Draco and Will laughed, and Apollo chuckled, handing Nico a square of ambrosia and a canteen of nectar.

"Eat up, kiddo, but make it quick. Champions are supposed to be on their way to the grounds to prepare for the main event."

Nico shoved the ambrosia into his mouth and swallowed perhaps too quickly. "The First Task, you mean?"

Apollo grinned. "No. I'm playing an... opening number, of sorts, before announcing."

Nectar rushed out of Nico's nose as he snorted in shock. "What?!"

Apollo grinned. "Yeah. Pretty cool, huh?"

Nico looked at Apollo blankly, and Will just covered his beet red face with his hands. Draco openly laughed at the couple, but it was apparent he was taken aback as well. Deciding not to dwell on the point, Nico slammed the remaining nectar down and stood. "Let's... Let's just go."

Will kissed Nico's hand, smiling reassuringly. "Wow them."

Draco grinned. "Not that you need it, but keep a cool head. I'll be taking bets with Fred and George, but I'll make sure to cheer you on."

Apollo accompanied Nico out of the Great Hall, the both of them ignoring the whispers and stares that followed them.

"Like Drake said," Apollo said, walking casually with Nico down the stone steps. "Keep a cool head. You don't have to worry about the others; there'll be Ministry monke-- workers there in case it gets out of hand, as well as Dragon Keepers. Crouch will tell you the criteria of the task before it officially starts, and you'll be allowed out to hear my performance."

Nico groaned and headed for the tent just a few yards ahead. "Be careful. If you play too hard...."

Apollo flicked his hand dismissively. "Bah. Like I didn't already know that."

But as Nico made his way into the tent, he heard Apollo muttering various curses to himself.

Delacour sat stiffly on a stool in the corner of the tent, looking pale and unusually uncomposed. Krum was not far away, looking surlier than usual, which was quite a feat. Diggory was wearing a hole through the ground, pacing around the tent and only pausing to send Nico a quick, thankful nod. He noticed them all in lose exercise clothes and gloves, and made his way into the corner, where his armor waited for him. Sectioning himself off, he snapped, and his armor appeared around him. He noticed that the Greek Fire had melted into a fabric that moved like the flames and glistened as Nico shifted, rather than staying its usual inferno. He supposed that was reasonable, though it still felt (and looked) weird. His crown, however, still weighed heavy on his head as his strapped his sword into place. He waited a few minutes before stepping back out, rolling his shoulders out so that they felt loose, prepared for battle. An old habit, he assumed, because with ichor running through his veins, stretching was helpful but not necessary.