The Second Task, and the Mentions of Another.

Diluted light glared in Nico's eyes, the shadows of waves dancing across the water. Nearly there. The Merfolk were swirling around him, looking curiously to see what would happen, and the surface neared. Nico pushed Will and the Mini-Fleur up so that their heads might breach the surface first, then paused, took a deep breath, and waved his hand so that the effects of the Gillyweed would leave him.

It was much harder to swim without his feet acting as flippers, Nico found, but fortunately he only had to kick a few times before he was breathing fresh, clean air. Heads plastered with seaweed-green hair breached, and, much to Nico's surprise, the merfolk were smiling at him.

Nico smiled back hesitantly. The Task wasn't finished yet.

"Nico," Will panted, acting as though he was hard of breath, "we should get--"

"Quelle-- Qu'est-ce qui se passe? Qui êtes-vous deux? Où est ma soeur?" Mini-Fleur said, eyes wide and frantic, her white-blonde hair plastered across her face. She had lost the greenish tint Nico had failed to notice underwater. (what-what's going on? who are you two? where's my sister?)

"Hey," Nico said, reaching a hand out calmingly. "Ça va. Je m'appelle Nico-Angelo, et voici Will-Sol. Ta soeur est là, sur les quais. Voulez-vous me laisser vous prendre à elle?" (It's okay. My name is Nico-Angelo, and he is Will-Sol. Your sister is there on the docks. Will you let me take you to her?)

"O-oui. Je m'appelle Gabrielle. Merci." (Y-yes. My name is Gabrielle. Thank you.)

Nico grabbed both Will's hand and Gabrielle's, and together, they swam towards the docks. Out of the corner of his eye, Nico saw Krum's shark head poking above the water just enough so that the gills were still underwater, allowing him to breathe as his head gradually shifted back to his own. Hermione was spluttering up water next to him, her bushy hair pushed down under the weight of the water.

On the docks, Nico saw Madame Pomfrey tending to Cedric and Cho, who were wrapped in thick towels and gathered around a fire. Fleur, on the other hand, was barely being held back by Madame Maxime, her eyes wide and scared, her towel slipping from her shoulders. She struggled against her Headmistress' grasp more and more as Nico, Will, and Gabrielle neared.

"Gabrielle! Gabrielle! Is she alive? Is she 'urt?!"

"She's fine," Nico assured, grabbing the edge of the dock, "just a bit cold."

He first lifted Gabrielle up to safety, Fleur scrambling to help her, and then Will, who gave Nico a hand up out of the water. Krum and Hermione neared them, followed by a chorus of singing Merfolk. Shrugging, Nico swiped his hand through the IM drifting behind him, effectively ending it.

Will grabbed Nico in a tight hug. "That was boring, thank you."

Nico rolled his eyes. "No, idiot, I'm gonna leave my fiancé down at the bottom of a lake where I can't get to him without serious negotiations. I'm fortunate you weren't somewhere up in the sky, because Uncle Z is... much less tolerant than Uncle P, even if I am..." He glanced around him; Hermione was looking at him curiously, teeth chattering. "Well."

It was then Fleur rushed to them, apparently having finally given Gabrielle over to Madame Pomfrey. "You saved 'er," Fleur said, eyes shining in gratitude, "even zough she was not your 'ostage."

"Of course," Nico said, "I didn't want to leave her there, cold and alone."

Fleur kissed Nico on each cheek swiftly, tears streaming down her face. "Thank 'oo." Her voice was thick with tears. She turned to Will, kissing him on each cheek as well. "And you, too, you 'elped-- I cannot thank you enough--"