ordinary

shawn

That night, I walk all the way home. By the time I reach my front door, the sun is coming up.

I take a long, deep breath before stepping inside.

Aaliyah is the first person I see, standing on the bottom stair with her favorite stuffed bunny, Boris, dangling from her tiny hand.

"Shawnie! You're home!" She squeals, running towards me and squeezing me tight. I hug her back, stroking her soft brown hair.

"Shawn."

I turn to see my father, his face stern.

"D-dad, I brought some m-money..." I stutter, fumbling as I pull out the money that Claudia had given me.

He eyes me up and down. "Where'd you get this money?"

"I played on a busy street, some people thought I was good and gave me money."

I hand my dad three hundred dollars, and his eyes soften.

"I'm proud of you, son. I'm sorry. We've missed you," my father says with no emotion. I smile softly.

"Go take a shower. Your mother has been worried sick," he orders, and I nod. I pick up my guitar and book and walk upstairs to my bedroom.

The house is a mess. Aaliyah is too young to clean up by herself, and usually I'm the one who has to clean up everything. My father couldn't care less.

I turn on the shower, letting the hot water run on my hand before stripping my filthy clothes and stepping in.

The hot water on my back feels amazing. I was shivering the whole night.

After washing myself, I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.

My dark brown hair is wet and sticks to my forehead. My left eye looks like it is smaller than my right, because I'd been cursed with a lazy eye. I've always hated it, but I don't care too much anymore.

I smile at myself in the mirror. My navy blue train-tracks peek out from behind my pink lips. I sigh.

I'm just so ordinary. Why did she say I was different?

My world lit up when Claudia said she wanted me to come back. When she said it, her eyes were big and excited. My stomach did a somersault when she smiled at me.

I can't wait to see her again. Tomorrow, I tell myself. Today I have to visit my mom, and then tomorrow I will visit Claudia. I smile again at myself, this time a real smile.

Things were going to change, maybe this time for the better.