04. Frosty mornings

Yuichirou's POV

I stepped out of the door, checking my phone again. It had been three days since I've had any contact with Yoichi. I had visited his house every day after school, but his parents wouldn't let me talk to him and just told me to leave. Maybe he was sick? 

I decided to take a different route to school, this time cutting through the park. Sure, it'd take longer but I had no reason to rush to school. Yoichi probably wouldn't be there, so what would be the point? If it wasn't for it being my final year, I would skip altogether. I stuff my hands into my pockets, the chilly mornings beginning to show after a long summer. I glanced up, my eyes falling on a smallish boy. 

Yoichi?

I approached him slowly, kneeling down beside the bench that he was perched on, eyes widening as I confirmed that it was him. His bloodshot eyes dart up, tears pouring down when they fall on me. I wrapped my arms around his small shaking body, stroking his knotty brown hair. 

"Why...why are you out here?" I asked quietly, still hugging him tightly.

"B-Because...because..." He began, his voice trembling. "Because I'm g-gay." My heart felt as though it had stopped. I immediately knew what had happened- he had come out to his parents, and now he was homeless. This was all my fault, I knew that his parents would react badly, so why didn't I tell him not to do it? Why didn't he ring me after this all happened? He could've stayed with me. We could've been alone together, and he could have explained everything to me, and got all of his tears out. 

He tilted his head up, the sun acting like a spotlight on the large bruise, accompanied by small cut that had formed on his cheek.

"Yoichi...I'm so sorry..." I began, stroking my finger against his goose-bump covered cheek. "Come with me, we have to get something warm inside of you." I stood up straight, offering my hand out to help the smaller boy up, wrapping one of my arms around him as soon as he was on his feet. I draped my coat over his shoulders, hoping it'd warm him up, even just a little bit.

~

We made it to my house, Yoichi going in first and settling on the couch as I had instructed him to. My mother was away for the week on a business trip, so I didn't have to worry about her objecting to Yoichi's presence, and my absence from school. I ran through to the kitchen, putting the kettle on and sticking some fries in the microwave. 

I returned to the living room with a cup of tea and his fries, along with a blanket. After handing the items over, I perched next to him, my heart physically hurting to see him like this. He was the sweetest soul I had ever met, who never said a bad word about anyone, let alone hurt anyone. 

"I'm sorry for being a bother," He murmured, his voice trembling and raspy. 

"You're not a bother at all," I replied, shooting him a reassuring smile. I paused for a second. "Yoichi, I wish you had called me afterwards." 

"I couldn't...because..." He started, tears welling up in his eyes. "It wasn't fair on you.." I scrunched up my nose, clasping his hand in mine and looking into his pleasant green eyes.

"Yoichi, no matter what happens, I'll be here for you. I will, and want to, help you through anything, alright?"