05. Daydreams

Yoichi's POV

I stripped out of my old clothes, wincing at the poor scent before stepping into the tub, scrubbing my matted hair. When I showered I let my mind wander. I would usually think about potential plots for stories, what homework I had to do that day, that sort of thing. Today, I had a lot to think about. 

For once, I felt like I wasn't a hindrance to someone. Yuu chose to help me. He could have ignored my presence on that bench and proceeded to school, but he didn't. I guess that's just what friends do. I draped a towel across my body after leaving the shower, brushing my teeth with the brush that Yuu had provided for me. 

I eventually emerged from the bathroom, oversized clothes that Yuu had lent me across my body. It was just a sweater and some jeans, but it was cozy. I felt the light weight of a hand on my shoulder and turned to see that familiar warm smile. 

"How are you feeling?" Yuu asked.

"Better. Thank you, Yuu-kun." The taller male smiled again, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. 

"You had better let me sort that little injury out on your face so it doesn't get infected."

~

I sat on the couch cross-legged, awaiting Yuu's return. He eventually returned, a green box in his hand, and the raven-haired boy settled next to me. He opened the box, extracting some sort of wound disinfectant and a few band aids. 

"This is probably going to sting," He began, dampening a cloth with the liquid. "You can hold my hand if you like." He lent forward, his eyes slightly squinted in an attempt to concentrate as he gently dabbed at my face. As soon as the cloth came into contact with my flesh, I squeezed Yuu's hand. That shit hurt. 

He concluded the cleaning and stuck a band aid over the wound. 

"There. It'll heal quicker now. Are you okay?" I nod, smiling briefly and then returning to a neutral expression when my cheek began stinging again. Yuu traced his fingers lightly over the flesh surrounding the freshly cleaned wound and sigh. "I can't believe they hit you." 

"It could've been worse," I muttered in response. 

"True. At least you're with me now, and I can keep you safe."