06. Truanting

Yuichirou's POV

"I'm sorry, mother. But what else was I supposed to do? I couldn't exactly leave him alone could I?" I say down the phone, trying to keep my voice low. Yoichi was sleeping in the other room, and I wasn't wanting to wake him. My mom was home tomorrow, and the bombardment of calls to her phone from school was arousing her suspicions.

"It's your final year, Yuichirou. You need to go to school and study, otherwise you'll be without a job when you're older and you wont be expecting me to look after your lazy arse."

"I'm aware, but Yoichi is more important. We can catch up on studies, but if he had gotten super ill and underweight, or even assaulted and harassed out there on his own, how would you feel?"

"Stop talking like that, Yuu. That wouldn't have happened and you know it," She paused, sighing deeply. "I'll ring his parents when I'm home. Until then, I'll let you off and allow you to look after Yoichi."

"We can't ring his parents," I muttered. "Alright, I'll see you when I get home. Love you." I hung up, stuffing my phone in my pocket and walking through to the living room, settling down on the couch beside a sleeping Yoichi. I cupped his face in my hand, smiling down at him. He really was cute when he was asleep. 

I really admired how brave he had been through all of this. Sure, there were a lot of tears when I first found him, but that was totally understandable. If it was me, I'd probably still be crying right now. He cried it out for a while, but afterwards he's tried his best to keep his head held high, which is admirable. I want everything he's been through to be worth it. He'll be able to live without worrying about how his parents view him, he'll be free to live out his dream of being a writer, and so much more. I love him, and I want the best for my best friend.