10. Back to School

Yuichirou's POV 

"Are they still there?" 

"They drove off a while ago," My Mom replied from the kitchen. I scrunched up my nose, drawing my knees close to my chest and exhaling deeply. How could she just let him leave with them? They hit him. The allowed him to run out of the house after doing so and didn't even make an attempt to look for him. They were incompetent, and were most likely going to continue making that precious little boy's life hell. 

It was my final year at school and I wasn't stressed about exams, or studying, like my friends were. School wasn't important anymore, the only thing that mattered to me was Yoichi. No matter what happened, I'd be there for him. I promised.

~

The night had finally begun to creep in, causing my bedroom to be shredded in darkness. No matter what position I found myself in, I couldn't fall asleep and at this point I was getting agitated. It felt weird not to have Yoichi in the house anymore. When he first arrived the sleeping arrangements were he would sleep on the couch and I would remain in my own bed, but they didn't stay like that for long. After being hit, shouted at and sleeping alone in a park at this time of year, it was only understandable that he would want someone to stay with him. We would watch a light-hearted animated movie before drifting off in one another's arms and despite being there for Yoichi, he actually made me feel pretty safe and cozy. I liked that. 

~

Despite my hopes fading the later the night got, I had actually managed to get some sleep. I took any shortcuts I could, trying to make the journey to school as short as possible to actually see if Yoichi was going to be there today. He hadn't texted me or returned any of my calls so my expectations were low, but I still held onto the chance that he might still be there.

I stepped through the gates and scanned the area. The previously orange leaves that coated the trees surrounding the buildings had finally all completely fallen and littered the once tidy floor, signalling that winter had made it's appearance. My eyes fell on a boy who was stood in close proximity to one of these trees. Yoichi.

"Hey," I called, softly as to not startle him. He turned around, the neutral expression he held transforming into a weak smile. My own face changed as my eyes examined him, trying to figure out what about him looked so different. The darkness around his eyes suggested that he was exhausted, along with his knotted hair that would usually be brushed to some extent. 

"Oh, hello Yuu-kun," He uttered. His usually soft and sweet voice was slightly raspy and trailed off at the end. Something definitely wasn't right.

"Yoichi is everything-"

"Yes, I'm fine," He blurted. 

"Why haven't you texted me or anything?"

"I...broke my phone. Sorry, haha." The bell rang sharply in the background, causing the smaller male to drift away towards his first class.  I watched him eventually disappear into one of the buildings, my heart physically aching. I promised I'd keep him safe, and at the moment, I'm doing a shitty job.