[Tobias] Chapter 10

I missed her. Just a little bit, but it was definitely there. There was something gnawing at me, a craving to call and check on her. I couldn't though, I was on a mission and calling her would only be a distraction. My brother was a constant for running, he was often weak and could usually be caught easily, but this time was different. He had been hiding for close to a decade and had built up his strength and was slowly bringing an end to my father's kingdom.

I'm on the edge, of glory

"Stupid radio," I mumbled, taking the music out without even touching it. It was a perk to being a demon, anything that upset me could easily be destroyed. I liked that.

"Stupid radio brother?"

Silas appeared in an instant, his body perched next to mine. We looked a lot alike, except his face and body had much more hair and his hair was brown instead of my raven black. We both had clear eyes, a strange height, and a muscular frame.

"Dad's looking for you."

"The old man is always looking for me, I'm not surprised. How are you Tobias?"

"Don't act cordial with me," I said low, "you and I both know why I'm here. What's gotten into you Silas?"

He shrugged, "life. I'm tired of living like this Tobias, I hate being a demon. I hate not being able to live my life without dad two steps behind. We're suppose to be demons and free to so what we want, but we have more convictions than humans."

"You sound different."

"Brother," Silas put his hand on my shoulder, "I didn't know what he was going to do. I sent him out to eat, I assumed he was going to a whore house."

"You were out of line, Silas. Why would you set him free to eat on a college campus?"

"How was I suppose to know you were going to fall in love?"

"I'm not in love, she's a good person and no one deserves to have their life ruined like that. Dad's already made his decision, you have to die."

"I'll talk to dad."

I slammed on the brakes. Silas flew forward, crashing past the window and landing on the ground. I walked to him, picking him up by his neck, watching him squirm.

"You've done enough," I released him, he fell against the ground. Blood was running from his nose and his eyes were black as night,  usually it's a terrifying experience to see another demon's eyes completely black, but I knew it meant war because mine were just as dark.

He laughed, "you sound like dad's puppet boy. Does he have strings up your ass?"

My feet hit the ground, sending a crack through it and causing Silas to fly into the air and hit a tree. He slid down, his mouth now dripping blood. Before I could bring my fist down against his head, he grabbed my legs and swung me. I hit the top of my windshield, causing it to shatter.

"I'm sorry it has to be this way brother." Silas disappeared and I sat there, glass burying into my back and blood dripping down my face.

*****************

There wasn't any reason to stay on earth after the meeting with Silas, so I went back. When I arrived at the house, my dad was sitting at the table and Nadia and my mother were nowhere to be seen.

"Are you alright?"

"I saw Silas, we got into a .. scuffle."

"The girl is upstairs with your mother, trying on dresses or something or the sort, tell her to make you better."

"It's not like that dad."

"Yeah, whatever."

I limped, pain filling my every step. I took the stair slow, getting to Nadia's room and crashing against her bed and into her lap.

"What happened," she stroked my hair out of my face in the most gently manner. Her fingers ran gently up and down my back, causing an unnatural shiver to run up my spine.

"My brother."

"I'm going to leave you two alone," my mother quickly hurried from the room and down the stairs.

"Tobias," she lifted my head in between her hands so I had no choice but to look at her, "what happened? Do you need a doctor?"

I shook my head, laying my head back down on her legs. She rubbed my back, I felt a warm sense of comfort as her hands moved softly against my skin. She seemed to be healing my every pain with just the touch of her hand.

"Tobias," I could hear the tears in her eyes, I didn't look at her, "Tobias say something, in English, in Italian, in demon, I don't care, just say something. Say something witty, say something annoying, be a dįck."

I didn't say anything, I couldn't say anything. I just laid there, my head in her lap and her stroking my back in the most calming manner.