[Nadia] Chapter 2

The bacon hit the pan with a sizzle that echoed throughout the small, empty dorm room. I was use to be alone on Sunday mornings since my roommate was a partier and usually stayed the night at her partner from Saturday's house. I moved the bacon around a bit and took a sip of orange juice before leaning on the counter and checking my emails.

Our dorm was apartment styled so there was one bathroom, two individual bedrooms, a small kitchen, and a living area. I brought a television for the living room and small decorations and my roommate, Claire, did the bathroom. I enjoyed living apartment styled, it was a bit more money, but I was happy for my own space and privacy.

There was nothing new on my emails just some spam and some game accounts that I didn't even know still worked. There were a few emails from my professors warning that there maybe a pop quiz Monday and that meant it was going to be Tuesday. They just wanted to get you all stressed and worked up so you'd actually study.

I turned around and turned off the bacon and placed it on a plate. I took one piece of the hot meat and placed it in my mouth as I continued checking my emails. Then there was an alert about being careful around campus at night and last night's events came back to my head. I was hungover and honestly didn't want to focus on anything besides my bacon and computer, but I couldn't shake the thoughts about last night.

I was almost taken advantage of, by a guy I couldn't even identify if I went to the police. It struck a nerve in my belly and I suddenly wasn't hungry anymore. What could have happened if it weren't for the kind stranger? What if he passed by with the boy's lie like everyone else? A painful shiver ran up my back and shook my head trying my hardest to focus on my emails.

I turned the television on and blasted it to full volume so I didn't have silence. I wasn't actually watching the movie currently on, but I refused to think anymore about the subject. The door unlocked to the room and in walked an equally hungover Claire.

"Have a good night stranger?" I called and saw her middle finger flash up at me. I chuckled and turned the television down.

"He was wonderful." She said dreamily as she landed onto our couch. She pried her heels off and turned towards me. "You cooked bacon?"

"There's some in the kitchen."

"Be a doll and get me some." She pouted out her bottom lip and I couldn't say no. Claire was twenty-one and intent on living life to the fullest. She came from a small town and went to Kentfield because she wasn't a person for change. She stood about 5'10 and near six feet in heels, she was read hair with striking green eyes.

I peeled myself on the couch went to the kitchen to retrieve the bacon. I looked over at my computer and realized I forgot to close it down. I shook the mouse and the screen popped back on with two unread messages.

I clicked on the first one and nearly barfed. It was a chain video going around of two people pounding into each other as if their lives depended on it. I clicked off it quickly and went to the next one. The next one was a message from my mom and I smiled.

Nadia,

I hope you're enjoying school! I know I just saw you over summer break, but miss you so much baby girl! You father is about to run us damn fool trying to keep us busy so we don't think about you being gone to much. Your brother is fine and your father is fine, but I miss my baby girl. Are you coming home from winter break? You can bring a friend. How about your roommate? I gotta go, but I love you so much my Nadia

Love,

Mom

I sent an email of my own that told my mom I missed her too, I was coming home for winter break, and I would see if Claire wanted to come too. I ended with the same I love you and closed down my laptop. I grabbed the plate of bacon and brought it to Claire.

"Took you long enough." She scoffed as she bit into the bacon.

"I was emailing my mom. Do you have any plans for winter break?"

"My usual plan, get laid."

"Wanna come back to my hometown with me? My mom really wants me to come and see her and she said she'd really like for you to come."

"That sounds better than what I was gonna do."

We continued the flow of casual conversation while snacking on bacon until the bacon ran out and we both weren't full. We decided to go to one of the on campus restaurants and eat there for brunch.

The atmosphere of the restaurant, De Luca Pizza, was incredibly laid back and chill. A waitress who looked to be a college student took our order and told us she would be right back and that continued the string of conversation between Claire and I. I was wrapped up into a debate with Claire about campus security when he walked in.

He could have blended in with a crowd, if it weren't for his unusual eyes. Clear. Perfectly clear eyes. In the daylight and without a throbbing headache I could see him more fully. He was tall. 6'6 or so with dark black hair that stopped about mid-neck. He ran his hand through his hair and his eyes flickered to mine for a brief second before he walked to a seat with his back facing me. When he walked, it looked more as if he were gliding across the floor. He obviously hit the gym because muscles were ripping through his loose tank top and shorts.

Claire's personal pizza and my panini came and we are and mostly silence. It wasn't a weird or awkward silence, it was a needed silence because neither of us wanted to talk during the process of eating this delicious food. I couldn't shake the feeling that eyes were on me as I ate and stared around once to shake the feeling and confirm that no one was staring at me. But he was. His gaze was intense as his eyes burned into my skin.

I pretend not to see the guy in hopes he was some far away admirer, but I wasn't much go admire. I was only about 5'7 and my hair was nearly always in braids. I had probably the most boring set of brown eyes on planet earth and I was darker toned. I wasn't ashamed of my skin color now, but growing up, I had to face the constant bullying for not being some light skinned bombshell. I eventually learned to love who I am for what I am. Claire finished her pizza and that motivated me to forget about the boy and eat.

The way he looked at me wasn't normal, it was almost primal. He looked at me as a predator watched it's prey.

"Ready to go?" I asked Claire and she looked up from her phone to nod before standing up. I through the remaining panini away and followed Claire back to our room.

Claire didn't stay for long because she had to rush off to meet some boy and that left me alone again. There was nothing but reality shows on T.V and everyone knew they were scripted. I decided on making myself some green tea and reading the book I had to for class. I had been pushing the book off for sometime, because it was boring. But I had to read it at some point and I was bored already so might as well.

I made the tea and went to my bedroom to start on the book. It wasn't one I was familiar with, I wasn't sure even one could be familiar with a book about the logic of slavery. It was talking about how money is the root of all slavery and not usually power. I continued to read the book until my eyelids felt heavy and tea would no longer keep them open. I sat both the book and tea down and pulled the covers over my head before going to bed.