The Nightmares

"You're new mission is to eliminate Agent 4 from S.H.I.E.L.D, soldier." Alexander Pierce's voice echoed coldly from the shadows he had disappeared back into.

The Winter Soldier flipped through the file before he was escorted out into the open, left to do what he had to do. The Asset mindlessly began walking in the direction of S.H.I.E.L.D Headquarters making his way stealthily along the streets. James Barnes on the other hand was somewhere in the back of the assassins mind, fighting back with all his might to stop his body from doing it again. So many times he had witnessed through his own eyes seeing his own hands snap an innocent mans neck or pull the trigger of a gun on an unknown stranger.

'No! No! No stop! Please stop!' He begged himself feeling like he was screaming, as if he was clinging to his bodies wrists trying to pull him backwards.
"This isn't you! You don't want to do this! Stop it please! Not again!"

Bucky tossed and turned in his bed, unaware of the nightmare he was in being just a flash back. It was as if he was right there again. He yelled out in his sleep, agonised by terror and guilt.

Meanwhile, in the bedroom next door, Steve woke with a jolt to the all too familiar, sickening sound of his best friend Bucky's cries. He sighed painfully and leapt out of bed rushing out his door and down the hall to Bucky's room. He paused a second and leaned against the door, listening in concern.
"No please! Stop it! No!" Bucky shouted.
Steve burst through the door. In front of him was the sad, but all too familiar scene of his best friend tangled up in his bedsheets which had been ripped from the mattress in fear, pillows thrown across the room as Bucky tossed and thrashed in the middle of his nightmare, or sometimes even worse, flashback.

"Buck!" Steve yelled as he jumped up onto the bed to straddle Bucky's figure to restrain him. Normally he wouldn't wake anyone else but he always woke Bucky, unable to to bare leaving him in such a state.
"Bucky wake up! Buck! Come on man! Your okay! Your here with me!" Steve grunted as he tried to hold down his friends arms and tightened his thighs around his strong torso to stop him from fighting.
But James Barnes was strong from all those years training and working as a soldier and an assassin, and not to mention the Super Serum too, he was a hard match for Steve.

"Bucky!" He growled once more. Aggression was the only way he could get Bucky to come too.

Finally Bucky awoke with a sharp inhale. His blue eyes darting open in terror only to realise it was just a dream and there was his best friend Steve Rogers on top of him. But that was the thing, it wasn't just a dream, it had really happened. He had really done that. He scrambled up into a sitting position and threw Steve off of him as he rolled onto the floor out of the bed and half scattered half scuttled to the corner of the room where he hid behind the bed side table and broke down in the fetal position.

His nightmares were so irregular, sometimes he wouldn't get them for a long time, others they could come four times a week. Sometimes they were bearable or just left him a little shaken up, others left him crying. But the flashbacks like this one were the worst because there was no denying them. No escaping the truth.

He cried and sobbed into his folded arms and repeatedly mumbled barely audible words.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Steve help me! I'm sorry! I didn't mean for it to happen." He wept.

Steve rushed around the bed and knelt in front of him.
"Shhhh, Buck. It's okay. Your alright now. It's not your fault. It's all over your safe now." Steve tried to comfort him soothingly.
He apprehensiously lifted Bucky's head and brushed a few strands of hair from where they were stuck to his best friend's cheek with sweat and tears.
"Shhhh." He repeated.
Bucky sniffled and kept his eyes closed, a pained frown marking his features.
"You okay?" Steve asked quietly.
His breathing was still very irregular and both him and Steve suddenly could feel another anxiety attack coming on from Bucky's part.
"Wait! Shh! It's okay. Do you want me to get the book?" Steve asked with a whisper, rubbing Bucky's arm to try and calm him.
Bucky nodded as another sob escaped him.

It was one of his diaries where he wrote his memories and him and Steve had gotten into a habit of reading over some of the happy ones whenever Bucky had an episode to take his mind off of what had just happened or remind him of the good things in his life.

Steve reached over and opened the bedside draw and took the little leather bound book in his hand. He then shuffled in next to Bucky who wrapped his metal arm around his back and leaned his head against Steve's shoulder as if he was his only form of protection as he began to flip through the diary.

He could feel Bucky shaking violently against him.
"Here. Look. Remember that time you saved that girl from being pulled into an alley by a strange man back in the late 30's?" Steve said, pointing to the page while keeping his eyes close on Bucky.
Bucky's breathing began to slow and he started to feel himself relax a little.
"Dragged into an alley?" He mumbled. "Are you sure that wasn't you Steven?" He added and let out a blubbering, weak laugh while Steve chuckled and shook his head against the top of Bucky's.

Bucky was so grateful to Steve for putting up with him, especially when he was like this.