Emptiness

It was the same routine as always.

The Winter Soldier was dragged back into his cell, barely able to walk on his own too feet. Weak, bloodied and bruised. Sometimes he didn't have to get his hands dirty, other times like today, he did.

His guards slumped him against the wall, cuffed him and chained him to a pole and left him there while they left for a few minutes.

Emptiness was all that filled his brain. He had no memory of anyone or anything except for his missions, assassin skills, the maintenance, the mission reports and.... the "wiping" as they all called it. The part that he dreaded the most. The pain, the restraint the hollowness in his mind and stomach afterwards. And then the cold that followed. Who knows how long he would be stuck in that freezer at a time? Sometimes he swore the world looked completely different to the last time that he saw it. He was certain that he had changed handlers and locations at some points because at first he remembered Zola, then multiple other soldiers surrounding him while they were kept in tubes while they were put on ice somewhere out in a place he had heard people call Siberia, and now there was Alexander Pierce and the dungeon. But then again, how could he trust his own mind for sure? And at least he never remembered or felt anything while he was under. There were times when he wondered if this was a normal life. This routine, all of this killing and blood. But it was also all he had ever known so what difference could there be? He never remembered anything about a childhood, just waking up from being defrosted one day and beginning training. And he had no idea why he had a metal arm or how it came about.

However, this time was different, something had seemed familiar about the statue he had hidden behind in that park today. Unsure if he always found something strange like this during a mission and he was just always forced to forget, he became agitated. He began to pull at his cuffs and rattle the chain, letting out frustrated, impatient, confused growls. It wasn't long before someone in a lab coat came along and with some struggle managed to grab his arm and inject a mild sedative to calm him down during his resistance

Overcome with exhaustion, he began to drift off against the harsh brick wall before the guards were back for him. Without mercy they picked him back up and pulled him down the hall into the room he dreaded. In there waited Pierce. He was forcefully shoved down into the dreadful, big metal chair while he crouched in front of him. The asset, as Alexander referred to him, fed the mission report to his handler and then came the all too familiar sentence.
"Wipe him and prepare him for cryo." Pierce instructed as he got up to leave.

Already beginning to panic and resist, scientists and guards held The Winter Soldier down as one of them shoved the mouth guard into his mouth which muffled his screams of agony because of the way he bit down and clenched his teeth around it. Then the restraints clamped down over his wrists and arms, particularly hard on his metal one.

He balled up his fists and shivered in terror as the machine started to whir and he saw the contraption spinning around over his head and come to rest on his face. He couldn't help the scream that followed as the electricity started shooting through him. He shook violently and relentlessly as sharp waves of power pulsed through him. It was the most painful thing he had ever experienced and it seemed to get worse every time. It went on for what felt like ages until a point where The Asset just went numb and sometimes even passed out.

Finally, when it was over, the soldier was once again greeted with the almost comforting emptiness that always followed. Once again he couldn't remember anything except what Hydra had taught him and wanted him to know. They led him in a daze over to the cryogenic chamber and strapped him in. He didn't have time to think or refuse before he was sealed in and beginning to feel the freezing cold snaking up through his finger tips and toes. The misty ice clouded his vision right before everything went black.