Haircut

You ran his fingers through your boyfriends long hair as you lay in bed until it got stuck in a tangle near the end of its length.
"Buck, you need a haircut." You chuckled.
"Mmmm, whyyyy?" Bucky groaned groggily.
You could hardly see his face underneath the hair fallen across it.
"Because, I want to be able to see my handsome partner who I know is under there somewhere!" You joked as you leant in and brushed the hair out of his eyes.
Bucky looked at you with his big blue innocent eyes.
"No." He shrugged. "I can't be bothered, and besides I kind of like it." He added lazily but you knew he was just putting it off.
"Look." You huffed. "You said you wanted to get away from The Winter Soldier right? Well getting a haircut will help do that. You don't have to get it cut that short, just trim the ends and tidy it up."
"Fiiiine." He groaned and rolled back over. "But later, after I've finished sleeping."
You sighed and snuggled into his back leaving him be. There were few nights when he had got a decent nights sleep like he had this past night.

You must've drifted off because next thing you knew you were being woken up by Bucky hopping out of the bed.
"Where are you going?" You mumbled drowsily.
"To get ready." He said in a husky voice.
"For what?" You asked.
"Getting my haircut." He huffed.
"Wait your actually doing it?!" You shot up excitedly.
"Yes, I think you're right." He mumbled.
"Wait, what's that? You said I'm right?" You teased.
"Yes." He groaned.
You got up to follow him.
"Do you want me to come?" You asked.
"Of course." He stated. "Kelly, this isn't something I think I can do by myself." He added nervously. "Its a big change, and having someone snipping scissors right near my head might not end that great." He pointed out.
"Your right. Let's go get some breakfast before hand and then we will go to the barbers?" You suggested sweetly.
"Sounds good." He nodded and pulled you into a hug and kissed the top of your head.
He was shaking slightly and you knew he was nervous.
"Hey, its going to be okay. This is good." You encourage him.
He smiled at you weakly.
"And once we're back maybe we could take a shower together?" You smirked.
"Okay." He said brightly.
You knew that would cheer him up.

You got dressed and threw your thick warm, kahki trench coat on and pulled the fluffy hood up. It was cold outside and it had even been snowing just yesterday. Bucky liked this because it gave him an excuse to wear his gloves. He was still self conscious about nearly everything about himself. You and Bucky joined hands as you left the tower where you had stayed with him last night and walked down the street to Starbucks. You got your usuals. A mochachino and raspberry and white chocolate muffin for you, and a caramel latte and blueberry muffin for Bucky. He paid and you went and found you guys a quiet seat in the corner for you guys. When he came and joined you you guys sat in silence, sipping your hot drinks and nibbling your food. You could tell he was really on edge. He kept looking around and jiggling his knees. Unable to stand it anymore you piped up.
"James, what's wrong?" You asked concerned.
"Hmm? Nothing." He shrugged it off.
"Yes there is. I can tell. You've hardly touched your muffin and normally its gone in one bite. Just tell me, what is it about this haircut thing that makes you so nervous? You know you can trust me. I won't judge you." You encouraged him and placed a hand on top of his.
"I know you won't baby." He sighed. "Its just that, I don't want to freak out and hurt anyone."
"Babe, you won't. You'll be fine. I know you will. Your doing so well." You assured him. "But you don't have to do this if you don't want to, it's okay."
"No no, I want to. You're right. Its the right thing to do. Its just I'm worried that having someone holding a weapon that close to me will trigger a flashback." He huffed.
"I'm sure you'll be alright. You haven't been too badly affected on your last few missions have you?" You pointed out.
"True, and I'll be extra alright because you'll be right there with me, right?" He stated.
"Mhm." You nodded and gave him a smile.

Once you guys finished eating you headed off around the corner to where the local barbers was. You hovered outside the door.
"You ready?" You checked with him.
"As I'll ever be." He huffed and walked inside.
You went over to the counter while Bucky kept a hold on your hand.
"Hi, my boyfriend would like to get a haircut? Just a trim. Nothing too dramatic but enough to tidy it up." You explained.
"Sure thing, just go take a seat sir and ill will be right with you." The shop keeper smiled.
Bucky looked down at you nervously and you smiled up at him and squeezed his hand in yours. You reached up and kissed his cleanly shaven cheek.
"You'll be fine, I'm right here." You whispered as you let go of his hand and plonked yourself down in the beanbag seating area.
Bucky looked at you while he went and sat down and you could see him looking at you in the mirror too. You smiled at him.

You could see him go slightly pale and clutch the arms of the chair a little tighter when the barber came up behind him. But other than that, he seemed fine throughout the whole ordeal. Once it was done he crossed back over to you beaming proudly and excitedly.
"What do you think?" He asked.
"I love it!" You exclaimed as you stood up and walked over to him.
You examined it, it was long enough that it could still hang loose and be put in a man bun, but short enough that he could tuck it behind his ears. It looked so nice and clean and silky. He smiled at you happily.
"I'm so proud of you." You said in a hushed voice.
He slipped a hand behind your back and went over to pay.
"Thank you!" You called as you walked out.

From there you headed back to the tower together talking happily. Bucky seemed back to himself now, perhaps even better. As you walked into the communal lounge you noticed that everyone else was up now.
"Hey! Where have you guys b- woa! Looking good James!" Natasha piped up.
"Thanks." Bucky chuckled modestly and went red with embarrassment.
"Damn Barnes, you better watch out Kelly, might have some competition for that man of yours now." Tony teased.
You wrapped your arms around Bucky's waste protectively but couldnt help but laugh.
"Don't worry, I only have eyes for her." Bucky shot back cutely.
"What do you think, Steve?" He asked turning to his best friend.
"It looks nice, jerk." Steve nodded.
You both laughed a little bit.
"How'd you get him to finally get the chop Kelly?" Nat asked.
"Hardly anything." You shrugged. "It was all him." You beamed proudly before you leaned up to Bucky's ear.
"How about we go take that shower WS talked about earlier." You whispered.
"Oh yeah! Sorry guys, if you'll excuse us we have to go do something." He said as he grabbed your hand and practically ran to his room, dragging you behind him laughing.