Part 6

Part 6

Chucking the letter in the dustbin, I eyed the candy basket with suspicion. Was it possible that Severon had poisoned the candy? If he did, he was beyond cruel. I mean, who poisoned candy, not a decent man that was for sure. I caressed the basket sadly.

I wish I could eat you. I thought to the candy. But the truth was, after the scary note, I couldn't not be suspicious. I mean, this was Severon I was dealing with, a criminal. So regretfully, I picked up the basket and placed it on my kitchen counter, maybe I might eat the candy later—once I knew it wasn't poisonous.

Walking back to the couch, I flopped down and picked up my notepad again. I began chewing the end of the pencil as I willed my brain to give me solutions on how to save my sister. But my stupid brain kept showing me the pictures of colorful candy; candy that was now sitting far away from me.

After a few minutes of no solutions, I hurled my notepad at the wall in frustration. Cursing Severon for sending me colorful—possible poisonous—candy, I stood up and grabbed the newspaper instead, which was not a smart idea as the whole damn thing was in Italian.

Opening up Google Translate on my phone, I begun translating the Italian into English. The reason I was bothering to read the newspaper was because I needed to find a job, and the newspaper was a good start. Now that Maril wasn't here, I had to earn money, the bills weren't going to pay themselves.

An hour passed and I still hadn't found a single job; I mean, I found plenty of jobs, but none of them were for me. I was not interested in being a stock broker or a maid, or even a babysitter—I hated kids. Sadly, there was no job at the candy store nor the toy store, so I was stuck with boring options.

Another thirty minutes flew away until I finally found a job that was remotely interesting, or maybe I just had a screwed up perception of the word 'interesting'. It was a job at a cafe. They wanted to hire someone to make coffee. Circling the job with a pink glitter pen, I entered the address in the GPS app on my phone. Quickly brushing my hair and putting on a headband with fruits on it, I laced up my sneakers and set off to find a job.

I had just pressed the call button for the elevator when a thin stream of fear trickled down my core. What if Severon was there, waiting for me. What would I do then? It would be impossible for me to escape from him a third time. Maybe I should wait a couple of days before I go out. Maybe Severon wouldn't bother waiting so much for me.

Don't be a coward, you idiot. You are brave and strong, you shouldn't be scared of a dememted criminal who has no sense of colors. Be brave and go out, don't let that monochromatic idiot keep you in the house. Go find a job, do not let your teddy bears down!

Steeling my resolve, I entered the elevator and pressed the button for the ground floor. Exiting the elevator after a minute, I was greeted by a golden sun and cold breeze. Maril enjoyed the stormy weather, but I hated the storm; I loved the sun and soft breeze. Checking my phone for the direction to the cafe, I set off the streets of Florence.

There weren't many people around, possibly already at work. I arrived at the cafe after twenty minutes. I stared at the sign in red that said, Finestra Blu. I frowned at the odd name, Blue Window? And the sign was in red, strange, and the perfect place for me. I loved strange, quirky places.

With a shaking hand, I pushed open the door and entered. The inside of the cafe was warm and welcoming. At the front counter was a woman dressed in what I assumed was a uniform, taking orders from a man with dark hair, wearing a suit. There were eight tables on the left and eight on the right. Stopping myself from turning around and bolting out the door, I forced myself forward until I was standing in front of the woman who was working behind the counter.