Part 17

Part 17

I woke up disoriented, the constant beep beep a lull in the background. When I had pried my eyelids apart, the first thing I became aware of was the warmth that surrounded me. I looked down to see myself cocooned in a comforter. The next thing I noticed was the room. It was unfamilar; the walls green, helping me relax. Wow, color therapy really did exist, I always thought it was a myth. The next thing my eyes fell on was the IV tube snaking out of my arm and ending at a transparent bag which was half full with clear liquid. And finally, I felt the heaviness in my head and legs. I touched my head only to find it bandaged. I tried getting up, but it only resulted in me falling back down, exhausted.

Fuck my pastries, what happened to me?

And as soon as that question entered my mind, the answer followed. Immediately, the fog in my mind dissipated and scenario upon scenario flashed in my mind like a bloody disco ball. Severon and I fighting. Severon blindfolding me and taking me away. Severon leaving me in a room full of snakes. Snakes! The snakes coming at me. Me begging Severon to let me go. The snakes biting me. Me falling on the floor and hitting my head. Fuck my licorice!

As soon as the snakes from earlier entered my mind, my mind and body went into a full panic mode; goosebumps appeared on my skin, my heart rate accelerated, my stomach felt heavy like I had swallowed weights for breakfast, and I had the strongest urge to run and save myself. But I couldn't run because my body refused to cooperate with me. And I could do nothing but lie in bed, waiting for someone to help me. To save me.

The door opened and Severon strode in, but not before closing the door and locking it. My heart thundered against my ribcage as he came closer and closer until he stood over me. Severon gave me a gentle smile before sitting down on the edge of bed next to me. He was wearing a doctor's coat, which told me that he tended to my injuries, or maybe not.

Severon looked so sweet and kind as he gazed down at me, those golden eyes shining with warm concern. Was it really Severon who had left me in a room ful of snakes? No, it couldn't be; he was so gentle and kind, he would never hurt me, no matter how much I pissed him off.

"Dragonfly, how are you feeling?" Severon asked, caressing my cheek with the back of his hand. His touch had tingles running down the side of my face until they reached my heart.

I smiled softly. "I don't really know. Am I suppose to feel so lethargic?" I enquired.

"Yes. You're not well, so the medicines that I'm giving you are making you feel this way," Severon answered, his hand not leaving my face.

"Why did you do it?" I questioned.

"Do what, sweetie?" He leaned closer to me.

"Leave me in a room full of snakes. They bit me and now I will die," I muttered, trying not to let the prospect of death scare me.

"No, my rainbow girl, you are not going to die. I will never let that happen," Severon stated.

"How? There were lots of snakes. Big, poisonous ones. And they all bit me, how will I not die? Am I already dead?" Tears stung my eyes but I forced them back. If I was already dead where were my parents, why wasn't I with them?

"None of snakes was poisonous, dandelion. You think I'll let anyone hurt you." Severon ran the pad of his thunb under my eye, the little gesture made me feel cherished.

"How come the snakes weren't poisonous?" I queried.

"The snakes have glands where they produce and store the venom. I surgically removed the glands from all the snakes that were in the room with you. The snakes bit you, but they didn't poison you, the snakes were more or less harmless. I would never let anything hurt you," Severon informed me.