Chapter 4

They tried boarding Jessy into their plan. Anick's parents were still not back, the boys arrived with pizza for everyone. Jessy wasn't hungry. She watched them one after the other without saying anything. They looked like most of group of friends who meet to discuss and have fun. The girl wanted to be accepted by them. She felt a little less alone.

But her curiosity began to be stronger. She ventured to ask a question about the boy in the cafeteria. They all became suddenly silent, looking at her. Did I just signed my death sentence? Anick took a new slice of pizza as Sebastian and Nelly were still looking. Feeling uncomfortable, Jessy quickly assessed the situation to try to put herself out. She really wanted to understand why they seemed angry at the boy. With a small voice, she asked:

"I... I said something I shouldn't?"

"Julian tells everyone that he was Martin's best friend," Pascal said.

"And it wasn't the case?"

"Martin took pity on him because he had just barely arrive and he had no friends," Nelly added.

A bit like you with me at the moment, I presume. Maybe it was the case. Who could know? Jessy preferred not to know the answer. Except that now, she was unable to think of anything else. Anick surely pitied her at it was for this reason that she had brought her everywhere during the day.

"Except that he began to follow him around," Sebastian said, "a little as if he believed that Martin was his "property". You see?"

"Very possessive," Anick added, engulfing the rest of her slice of pizza.

"You don't remember seen him before?" Sebastian asked.

Jessy shrugged.

"More or less," she said. "Martin had so many friends."

"And their friendship deteriorated," Nelly went on, a light smile on her lips. "Martin ended up getting tired of him, but Julian didn't agree. He had in mind that no one else could be as close to him."

"Then came the new girlfriend," Sebastian said.

"So, Julian began to hate her and everyone else," Pascal said.

"Girlfriend?"

"You," Anick answered, eyebrows raised. "You have no idea of what he was able to tell on you."

"The famous campaign of discredit!" Nelly sneered. "Everyone got some!"

The girl frowned. What bad did he tell about her? He didn't even know her! Now she understood a little better why they had preferred to disappear when Julian showed up at the cafeteria. Better to avoid him. This guy is a real manipulator. She took note to never approach him. But she didn't understand why he could hate her so much. She had perhaps seen him once of twice while she was dating Martin. She hadn't "steal" Martin. Still, it wasn't her fault if his parents had decided to move!

Anick was quick to change the subject. She explained to the boys that there had a slight change of plan for Nancy. Pascal rolled his eyes, shaking his head.

"Again? But you change things now for about twenty times!"

"This time is the last! I promise!"

"And what did you change?" Sebastian asked, sighed. "The date? The place?"

"Very funny," Nelly said, smiling.

"Well?" Pascal grew impatient.

"Nancy."

Even Nelly didn't know that detail. She turned to her friend, frowning.

"Why didn't you tell me?"