Chapter 9

"But what are you doing here?" Nelly exclaimed. "You were not grounded?"

"Long story," Jessy said, shaking her head. "It'll be for another time, okay?"

Her friends quickly understood the message, seeing the interest that the other girl seemed to carry over their conversation. Celia realised it and went to greet another group of students who arrived. Jessy gave a small smile, shaking her head. Sebastian pointed her a door a little more away and asked why no one was to this entry to the rear of the improvised scene. Ah! I'll be able to use this entry... Thank you very much! She replied that it wasn't the main entrance to the gym. Nelly started laughing while they entered the gym. Other students were following them at a distance after the look Anick threw them.

"These are your friends?" Celia mumbled without stop smiling.

"Why do you care?"

Celia turned her head towards the girl, surprised.

"They are just..."

"Mind your own business."

"But they are not very nice," Celia said with a shrug. "Nelly is wicked and Anick..."

Jessy gave a deep sigh, looking down at her agenda. But Celia didn't intend to shut up. She went so far as to warn her against them. Kinda like Margo did, but in a more drastic way. Why are they all against them? They were the first to have been kind to me. Leave them alone! The girl decided to turn a deaf ear.

"You should be careful."

"Thanks for the advice. Have you finished?"

"They are pretending!"

"I'm old enough, okay? And I didn't ask for your opinion."

Margo came to join them. Celia hastened to look away.

"Everything all right here?" the supervisor asked.

"It would be nice if I could disappear from here," Jessy said, looking up at her aunt.

The latter forced herself to smile at her.

"A punishment in the form of lesson," Jessy sighed, grimacing. "Practical, but a pure waste of time. I hope you know it."

"Unfortunately. Sorry you have to be put through my niece."

Celia gave a nervous little laugh, but preferred to remain silent. Jessy shook her head and sighed. What a coward! Margo returned to the gym. The girl held her anger against her aunt. She felt so humiliated! Even more, she wanted to scare her like a little girl. She imagined her running out of the gym scearming... In fact, she hoped that'll be like that.

"She scares me so much..."

"You realize that it doesn't help anyone what you're doing here, isn't it?"

"Yes, of course..."

"And you still volunteered?"

The two girls were silent, to Jessy's delight who kept an eye on the time passing a little too slowly for her taste. Why the cool things were never as fast as the people wanted? Jessy was still far from complaining that her companion no longer said a single word. Apart from the students who showed up at the gym's entrance. Needless to say. She plays her hostess role very well nevertheless. Jessy eventually grew tired of her doodle and put her agenda in her bag. Celia choose this moment to talk to her again. How lucky I am...

"She forbade you to go to the dance?"

Jessy frowned.

"You're talking about my aunt?"

"Yes. Looks like some sort of punishment she imposes you."

"Why do you care?"

"Why do you have to be so aggressive with me? I don't..."

"I don't appreciate people who don't mind their own business."

Celia remained speechless.

"It's a good thing you have to understand very quickly, you know?"

"You're new and I'm just trying to be nice..."

"I didn't ask."

Jessy stood up, sliding the strap of her backpack over her shoulder. Celia frowned, asking her what she was doing.

"A breath of fresh air."

"I thought you were supposed to stay here."

"Do you always do what people tell you? I'm not."

"So you understand why I'll warn you about your "friends"."

Why are they against them, damn? The girl was tired. She reflected that it was perhaps a good idea to let Celia tell what she had to say. She would perhaps have peace then.

"Go on," she threw, pouting. "Say what you have to say and leave me alone."

"So..."

"Do it quickly, however."

"They'll stab you in the back at every opportunity."

The girl was going to ask if her sermon was finished when Celia added:

"Especially Anick. And I think she was in love with your former boyfriend."

"What boyfriend?"

"Martin, the one who died."