Chapter 7

*Ethan's POV*

I followed Mr. Stark throughout the building, winding around corners and taking countless elevators. Finally, we reached a door marked "Important Personnel Only". Tony slid a key card through a slot and the door clicked open.

We walked inside, and I was astounded by what I saw. The entire room was one giant, pulsating machine. A huge screen rumbled up from the floor, and I saw a paused shot of what appeared to be some sort of security footage.

Tony gestured to the screen. Or, rather, a place directly in front of it. "This is where Pepper, or Spyder, was last seen. She got into her suit and just... disappeared."

I tapped my fingers impatiently. "Yeah. And?"

He glared at me. "So... It was this very spot where she vanished. I'm thinking that we need to construct some sort of wormhole-opening machine, in this very spot. As long as a similar one is built on the other side, where you disappeared, it should work. Does everything I'm saying make sense so far?"

I frowned. "I'm not stupid. Of course it does. Wormhole, yeah. Machines, great. Locations, wonderful. But where's the part where I get to go home?"

The billionaire smirked and said, "I like the way you think. Unfortunately, you're not going anywhere until everything else has been built properly and set in place."

I had to really concentrate on not blowing up on him, right then and there. "So what do you suggest I do until then? Stare at a wall?"

Mr. Stark laughed. "Unless you really want to, no. Peter will be helping me, and I guess you could take over his duties as Spider-Man until we're done. Deal?"

I gave it some thought. I mean, sure, it sounded like a good idea. But what if something went wrong? What if I screwed up Spider-Man's reputation? So many things could happen. However, it would have to be a risk I was willing to take.

I nodded. "Deal."