7

Hearing it leave Matt makes it all seem real. I choke back a sob as it threatens to escape my mouth. I throw myself back in to his embrace. "How?" I croak.

"I don't know," he says honestly, his voice muffled. "They are still trying to figure it out." I nod because I lose all words. He holds me for a few more minutes before saying, "Morgan, I know you probably aren't in the mood to leave, but I need to get you to a safe house. I promise he won't get you. He'll have to kill me first." That almost seems like a bad thing to say. The thought of Matt dying... It just kills me. I almost yell at him to knock on wood but that'd make me look crazy.

Not that I care.

"Ok," I say quietly. Amazingly, I have not shed one tear. In some ways, I guess you could say I saw this coming. I just wasn't ready for it so early. I thought I had another month at least. Lauren stands beside me holding my sweatshirt. I shakily take it and say, "Thanks."

"I'll see you soon," she smiles softly but I can see her fighting back tears. She's probably the best boss anyone could ever have. Although we didn't talk as much as I would have liked, it still hurts me to know I won't be seeing her for awhile.

Possibly never because I'm not sure if Mom will let me leave the house after this.

"I'll be ok," I promise as I slip my sweatshirt on and take Matt's hand. It's all I can say to not start crying. Honestly, I'm surprised I'm handing this so good. I was expecting I'd have a compete meltdown.

"You ready?" He asks.

I nod. He leads me out the door away from all the staring eyes. We decide it would probably be best if we took my car rather than his motorcycle. He still takes the keys despite my protests. "You are in no shape to drive," he says.

I open my mouth to protest some more but I realize he is right. Just like he always is. Even though I'm not breaking down right now, it could come at anytime. I'm probably still in shock. After all, I'm still having difficulties processing some things. I give him the keys and I get in the passenger side.

He gets in and looks at me worried. He takes his brown leather jacket off and wraps it around my shaking body. I don't feel cold, but I must look it. Either that, or Matt mistook my fear for being cold. Even so, I'm thankful for the warmth his coat offers and snuggle in to it.

Matt holds my hand while he's driving. The car is quiet, but the silence speaks the truth louder than words ever could. We are scared and don't know what to do. What if the safe house doesn't work? What do we do then? What if Chris is never found? Will we live the rest of our lives in secrecy?

I just don't what's going to happen. It feels like I'm trapped in a maze bigger than the labyrinth, and I don't have a string to help me get out. It seems never ending. I keep finding dead end after dead end and the monster chasing each me, Chris, is getting closer with each turn I make. I feel so hopeless that I just want to curl in to a ball and cry. Even the constant shouts of Matt, Ryan, and my family can't help me get out.

The encouraging squeeze Matt gives my hand brings me out of my mythological stupor. I've been reading way to much Percy Jackson. I look at Matt who's staring back at me and I give him a small smile. Then I notice the car has stopped. Time passes way to fast when I'm daydreaming. I look out the window confused. "I thought we were going to a safe house?" I ask looking at my apartment.

"We are," he says putting the car in park. "I just thought there might be some things here you'd want to take with you."

"Why aren't there any police cars?" I stare at the almost vacant parking lot.

He shrugs, "They don't know we are here. I was supposed to take you straight to the house, but I figured we had time for a quick stop here. Besides, Chris shouldn't know where you are. It's safe."