24

My attacker drags me back in to the cover of the trees. Now no one could see us from the path. Even though I know it's useless, I try screaming for help. It comes out muffled just as I expected, but at least I tried something.

"Shhh." He urges. No, I don't want to be quiet! I'm about to be attacked and he is telling me to not make a sound? That's not going to happen. I continue to struggle against his hold when he speaks for real this time, "Morgan, calm down. It's me."

I freeze. My heart rate picks up. "You need to be quiet," he whispers in my ear. I nod slowly. This can't be real. My eyes start to water. This is probably some sick joke.

Slowly, he removes his hand from my mouth and lets go of my body. "Matt?" I whimper, my lip quivering. I turn to face him. Even in the dark, I can make out his handsome features. I can't hold back my smile as I hug him. I cry on his shoulder. He really is alive, just like Ashley said. "You scared me," I say between sobs.

He rubs my back soothingly. "I know. I just couldn't have you screaming or something and blow my cover. I'm sorry," he says sincerely. That is true. He really did scare me a few seconds ago, but that's not what I was talking about.

"That's not it," I say shakily. "I thought you were dead," my voice cracks on the last word.

He pulls out of the hug just enough to look at me. He still holds me tightly, as if he is afraid he'll lose me. The moon reflects in his deep eyes. I missed him so much. "Morgan, it'd take a lot more than a couple cuts for you to get rid of me." It's a bittersweet joke. I choke out a laugh, but it sounds more like a hiccup. He hugs me again. "Did he hurt you?" Matt asks.

Yes, he did. He's hurt me in every way possible. But for some reason, I don't tell him that. I just have a feeling this isn't a good time. A white lie wouldn't hurt right now. I don't want Matt doing anything too rash. Besides, he just found me. I don't need to be reminded of all my problems right now. "No, I'm ok."

"Thank god," he murmurs, "I don't know what I would've done if he did. I'm sorry. I should've protected you-"

"Matt," I interrupt him sternly. "You did everything you could. What happened that night doesn't matter anymore. You're ok. You found me. I'm safe now. That is all I could've asked for."

He kisses the top of my head. "I love you," he says.

Fireworks go off inside me. It feels the same as before. I wish I could stay in his arms forever. The world could end and I wouldn't care. "I love you, too," I say. Then we kiss. A flame has been lit inside me and my body is on fire. It's amazing. Chris could never compare to this. He isn't on the same planet as Matt, universe even.

Reluctantly, I pull away. "Are you here alone?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "There's a boat full of cops hiding behind the patch of trees over here. Some others and I volunteered to scout out the area before bringing them in. That's when I found you. They're waiting for me to give them the green light." It's then that I notice he is wearing a bullet proof vest. He also has a walkie talkie and hand gun attached at the hip. "Come on," he says taking my hand. "It's time to get you out of here."

"Wait. What about Ashley? Aren't you going to stop Chris and your family?" Your family, sometimes I forget Matt is part of this messed up family. He's just so different from them because he is normal. It's hard to believe.

"Don't worry, we'll get them. I just want to get you to-" suddenly we hear a shout from the distance. It's Chris looking for me. Matt mutters an obscenity. "He's always had the best timing," he mutters sarcastically. Matt and I stay frozen in our spot at the edge of the trees. He tries to pull me deeper in.