19

"Chris, can I ask you something?" I ask a few days later. I've managed to avoid Jonathan at all costs. Even if it means having Chris with me most the time. He's constantly with me ever since I got off the cuffs. I think he's too scared to leave me alone still, or maybe I'm just that fun to be around. Not.

We are sitting on the couch in the living room. This is the first time I've been out of the bedroom in forever it seems like. Chris has his arm around me but I'm ok with it. I'm not shuttering from his touch anymore. We just got done watching Frozen, my personal favorite.

"Go ahead," he smiles.

This question has been eating me alive for the past couple days. How'd he pull it off? "You were in prison for months without getting in trouble. How did you get out?"

"So you were checking in on me?" He jokes.

I shrug, "Every now and then," I say anxiously awaiting his answer.

He leans back and sighs, "Well what do you want to know?"

"Anything and everything."

Chris laughs, "That's a little bit too much for one day, but I'll give you the gist of it and you can ask questions when I'm done."

I nod, "Ok." All I want is to know how he pulled off the prison. I don't need to know all the details, but I've got nothing else to do so why not?

"You know your neighbor, Oliver?" He starts.

"Not really. He was always shut in his apartment."

"That's because he wasn't an actual college student. He was almost never in his apartment."

"What do you mean?" I ask confused. I know Oliver was working with Chris, but to what extent?

"He was a guard in the prison I was kept in." That prison was hours away...

"You have got to be kidding me," flies out of my mouth. Great, that won't tick him off. I'm worried he'll get mad or stop talking, but he starts laughing.

"I know, right?" His laugh is contagious. I find myself joining in. "That little guy was a psycho." Hearing Chris call someone else a psycho sounds wrong and sort of funny. "He like, admired me or something. I don't know, it was weird. One day he came up to me and said he could get me out of there."

"Just like that?"

"He had some conditions, of course. I had to take him with me and help him take a girl. The guy was crazy. He wanted to take her for the rush of it, not because he loved her. I hated the thought of it, but I went with it anyways. I knew I could get out of it somehow. Oliver was able to locate you quite easily. He rented out an apartment in your building to keep an eye on you sometimes. When he wasn't there, he was still in the prison scheming with me. It wasn't planned to be right next to you, but it worked out that way."

"Did he leave the gifts?" I ask carefully. I chose gifts because that doesn't sound accusing. Chris is tolerable when he isn't mad and going lunatic on me.

"Yes, under my permission he did. So the day came, and he broke me out. It was easy. He brought extra pillows to my cell along with an extra uniform. We stuffed the pillows under the blanket and pulled it up to give the illusion that I was sleeping. It is so overused that it actually worked. Then I put the uniform on and left my jumpsuit under the covers. I was able to sneak out without raising any suspicion at all. The first thing I did, naturally, was go to your apartment to get you back." I guess that would explain why he got there so fast. The prison probably didn't know he was missing for a few hours. "So I guess I ended up giving you the whole story," he laughs lightly.