8: Meeting [editing]

CHAPTER EIGHT - Meeting

You looked out. You saw that although it was December, the sun was shining on a blue sky. You didn’t see any clouds. It was not snowing anymore. Then, you saw birds flying in your peripheral vision. Around you, there were not many people, so it was silent. You exhaled and then you saw smoke-like substance come out of your mouth.

It was the perfect day, you thought. You finally got the hang of walking without that walking aid, holding unto rails of staircases, or even seeking aid from Eren. Your hand was also recovering very quickly, and the doctor said that it could be removed from the cast in less than a week. You weren’t that busy since that all the major preparations for Christmas programs were already done. You only needed to polish it.

It has been fifteen days since that incident in the plaza occurred. Mikasa is expected to be at school tomorrow, although she has been showing up to school for passing the reports for the preparations and overlooking at the others who are in the design team and everything. Levi is to be released from the juvenile center later.

You’ll be seeing him again, although you have visited him a few times, you could only talk with a glass pane in front of you two, holding a phone. You could see and hear him but you can’t touch him. You couldn’t hold his hand. It just seemed weird, because you were familiar of his warmth. You were familiar with his strong arms that wrap around you when you cry, or when he saves you from tripping.

When you came to him, he would always look ragged, as if he didn’t sleep for the past few days. It just seemed sad that he’s been having nightmares inside. He kept on saying that he was alright, but your heart constantly got torn apart seeing his soulless eyes. He would attempt to smile, but you could see that it wasn’t like the times before when he would smile, and then just return to his stoic expression. It was just so damn painful to—

“Hey, [name].”

You snapped back to reality when Eren tapped you on the shoulder. You immediately looked around. You two were standing by the window in the corridors of the fifth floor at lunch time, having another sandwich that Eren bought in. Beside you, you saw Eren looking worried.

“Finally, you’re back…” he said, and then gave out a small, but warm smile.

“Where the hell would I go, Yeager?” you said jokingly.

Eren let out a small laugh. “Nothing. It’s just you spaced out when I was talking. Your face looked like you were communicating in another dimension. I really thought you’ll drool eventually…”

“Wait, I was?” you asked, and started to panic. You covered your mouth with your hand.

“Hey, I did say that you will? I never said you did. But, I wish you did so that I could videotape it for Levi…” he replied, and let out a laugh.

Your face turned into a bright red shade. Your eyebrows then furrowed and you pushed Eren with one hand. He tripped, almost falling down, when he stopped by placing his hands flat on the floor.

He stood back up, and attacked you with a light head butt. “Damn [name], you are crazy strong. You could be as strong as Mikasa…” Eren said, holding his left arm with his right hand.

“Eren, no other woman could be as strong as her,” you responded. “Not that I know anyone of.”

Eren looked out the window, and stared at the clear blue sky. He breathed in and out, and continued to look at the sky.

“Right, he’s being released today, right?” Eren mindlessly said.

“Who?”