Chapter twenty two

Jake's POV

I ran out of the hospitable and didn't stop for anyone or anything. I headed straight home after I heard the news of Axel dying. I would have called my mom for a ride but she was out with my dad for a 'date night' which I didn't want to disturb. Besides I would much prefer to be alone right now, my parents would never understand why I was so worked up about this. If I had just ignored him and left he might still be alive. If I hadn't blabbed on and on about my life he could still have been here.

"You can't change the past." I mumbled to myself knowing it was what my mom would have told me. But I couldn't help feeling like I had been the one to kill him. I needed something to get my mind off of this matter. I could think about it another day when I wasn't such an emotional wreck. Thoughts like I was having cause idiotic choice and others pain. I wasn't about to go down that path, I had seen what it did to Zander.

The best thing for me to do right now was find something to distract me, something that would take me into another world. A movie would probably do the job, especially a horror movie, those were my favorite and it just seemed to fit the situation perfectly. It might sound weird but I enjoyed watching all the blood and gore when I was upset.

With that I chose the goriest movie I owned and plopped down on my bed. I turned the volume up and lost myself in the movie, nothing could distract me now. There was blood and there was gore but I still was upset. I knew that I had to keep distracting myself from thinking about what happened, for my sake and possibly others. So I decided to watch some CSI and any other crime show I could find.

An hour or so went by and I was still watching my television, I wasn't really paying much attention anymore. I was sprawled out across my bed and slipping into unconsciousness. My dreams where haunted with guilt and torment. Everywhere I went Axel was. In the backround I could hear a faint chanting.

'Murderer, killer. Beware of Jake; he'll kill you just like he killed Axel.' I tried to run away or wake up but I couldn't get away from this nightmare. I came face to face with Axel. "You killed me, I listened to you sob story and you repay me in death, now it's your turn to pay." He hissed at me. I tried to explain but I was frozen in fear for he help up a gun. "Nothing to say? Well I hope you enjoy the pain."

The shot rang out and I felt a stinging pain in my leg. I couldn't stand on it, the pain was unbearable. He sat there laughing and watching me suffer for a few minutes before shooting me again, right through the heart. I knew I was dead.

I woke up startled, and freaked out to be honest. I heard something fall, landing with a solid thud. I knew it was close by, I would have gone and checked it out right away but I had some trouble peeling the sheets away from my body. I looked around nervously; I had never had a nightmare that realistic and woke up to something as frightening as this. I heard the start to a new CSI coming from my TV but I didn't even spare it a glance, my eyes were glued to the figure lying on the floor, not moving.

I got out of bed slowly and as silent as possible, I couldn't make out who it was. I couldn't even guess my mind was so clogged with fear. For all I knew it could have been a killer, who passed out from being drunk. I stepped closer and rolled them over. Still not able to make them out due to the lack of light.

They didn't seem to be breathing. I pulled out my phone and flip the light on ready to call nine-one-one. When the light revealed the face though I dropped my phone in horror and screamed a terrified girly screech that I'm sure my neighbors could hear. On my floor was Zander, not breathing and deathly pale.