Chapter 9

Kari stirs when Loki tries to shake her awake.

    "No. I want to sleep." Kari says, although she feels fully awake, and more refreshed than she has in a long time.

    She figures the spell Loki cast on her had something to do with it, but she doesn't really care.

     "It is too bad you do not get a choice. Get up, Kari. It is time for breakfast." Loki informs her.

     Kari doesn't move.

     "Do not make me soak you once more." Loki attempts to get his daughter up.

    Fortunately for him, Kari is not in the mood of waking up soaking wet yet again.

     "Fine." She mumbles, sitting up.

    She gets out of bed and glares at Loki, who is smirking.

     "Leave. I'll be ready in ten minutes." Kari tells him.

    Loki raises an eyebrow, but exits the room nonetheless.

    Kari gets dressed in a simple grey dress and black sandals.

     Going through her morning routine (although it is modified slightly because she is no longer on Earth,) she prepares for the day.

    Loki comes in precisely ten minutes after he left, where he finds Kari trying to put her hair up into a braid, but failing rather miserably. In the end, she just untangles it and leaves it down, knowing all attempts are futile.

     Loki takes Kari to breakfast, and she finds herself seated next to Loki and Sif. Neither engage in conversation, which Kari prefers, and she eats in silence.

    When she finishes, she exits the room and heads back to her chambers.

    She takes out a history book Loki gave her, and reads. Kari knows it is her homework, so she reads as much as she can.

    Although her history lessons do not start until noon, Kari enjoys studying. Knowledge makes her feel powerful, and power is hard to grasp in a land of living myths.

    When Kari finishes her history book, she grabs her magic book that Loki confiscated, which mysteriously appeared on her bed stand in the morning.

    She flips to the hologram chapter, remembering the last time she was on this page was in the orphanage.

    Then she start to read.

     She notices that when projecting a hologram, you can project it to someone, and a hologram of them will appear for you.

     Kari then starts chanting. At the 'insert name here' part, Kari finds herself saying Artemis' name. When a hologram of her best friend appears, Kari almost drops the book.

     "Kari?" Artemis asks.

     "Artemis. Hey." Kari gives a slight wave, and Artemis looks like she's going to run to Kari.

     "Don't. It'll disappear if you do." Kari warns.

     Artemis freezes, then wonders. "How did you do that? It's literally a hologram.

     "Yeah. Lok-Logan has technology I guess. I don't really know how it works...." Kari lies.

     "Still, this is awesome! How long will it hold?"

     "Until you make contact with it, or I stop using the device." Kari states, remembering the words when she scanned the spell two minutes ago.