Chapter 11

Kari watches as Loki freezes things she tossed into the air. A rock suddenly covered in frost, a leaf frozen, dropping to the ground with a thud. Kari kneels down to pick up another rock, and tosses it to her father. He easily freezes it, letting it fall to the ground harshly.

Kari tries freezing a rock herself, and manages to encase it in a thin wall of ice.

Loki tosses her a rock, and out of pure instinct she freezes it so it doesn't hit her. He chuckles at Kari's baffled expression, before his daughter uses telekinesis to take his dagger out of it's sheath, and Kari freezes it.

The Asgardian fakes offence, before his affronted look morphs into one of mischief.

Kari immediately runs, considering she recognizes that look, since it was once upon her own face. Loki has a plan of some sort, and it was definitely a prank. Kari shrieks as a wave of cold flies by, and she looks to see frost covering the plants to her left.

She knows Loki does not plan to harm her but simply mess with her. And two can play that game.

Kari turns briefly to send a stream of water of Loki's direction before running faster, not wanting to get caught. When Kari hears the sounds of a surprised Loki, she smiles, knowing the water hit its mark.

Another wave of frost is sent in Kari's direction, and she yelps when it catches her right arm and leg. The feeling of cold startles her, and she trips, but she continues to run, tiring only slightly.

Being in an orphanage usually meant running to school half the time, so Kari built up quite the endurance.

When a snowball hits Kari in the back however, she tumbles to the ground.

By the time she recovers, Loki is in front of her, his mischievous expression never failing. Kari knows running is pointless when her father is two feet away.

So Kari gives him a challenging look from the ground and is then flipped upside down with telekinesis.

"Hey!" She exclaims, immediately feeling blood rush to her head.

"I wonder what would happen if I froze you," Loki muses, a snowball forming in his hand.

"No!" She protests quickly, trying to concentrate on fighting back, but she does not have the mental strength to perform a spell upside down.

Loki chucks the snowball at Kari, and she shrieks once more as it hits her, the cold snow seeping through her outfit.

The Asgardian laughs as Kari struggles to break free, grumbling about how whenever she tries to have fun Loki does something.

"Let me go!" Kari demands, trying to focus on creating some way to get herself out.

Loki chuckles and sets her down carefully. Kari quickly summons a snowball and throws it at Loki, hitting him square in the chest. She giggles at his face, a look of utter shock upon it, before he throws multiple snowballs at her.

The two immediately break out into a snowball fight, sorcery flying everywhere.

Kari gets hit in the face about four times by her father. Finally, she throws a snowball that hits Loki in the face and gasps. For a few seconds, his skin is blue, before it fades to its usual peach colour.

When Loki sees the fearful look upon his daughter's face, he stops throwing snowballs and approaches her slowly.

"Kari, my darling, what is wrong?" He asks, confused.

"You-You turned blue," Kari stutters. She's usually not fearful, but for some reason that scared her.

Loki nods in understanding. "I suppose you are old enough to understand now. There is something you should know," he says, almost gravely.

"What is it?"

"You read of frost giants I assume." Loki predicts, and Kari nods.

"They had a war with Asgardians. The Allfather took away their source of power." Kari's fear has faded, and now she only possesses curiosity.

"Yes. Well..... I do not truly know how to say this, but I am a frost giant," her father confesses.

"What?" Kari steps back in apprehension. The monsters from the book— her father is one of them?

"I am still the same person I have always been, angel. I am simply a Jotun." Loki desperately wants to make his daughter understand.

"Aren't you also Asgardian?" Kari asks.

"Not exactly. I am Jotun, as are you." To prove it, Loki's skin turns a blue colour, and his eyes turn red.

Kari takes another step back, but eventually, slowly walks towards her father. Kari wraps her arms around him, and is surprised that he is not very cold.

Loki is surprised that his daughter's skin is not freezing, nor turning blue.

He supposes the Asgardian and Jotun blood cancel each other out, not changing her form, but not harming her either.

"See? I am the same." The Jotun tells Kari.

"Does this mean I'm half human, one quarter Asgardian and one quarter Jotun?" Kari asks, eyes wide in the realization.

"No. You are half Asgardian, one quarter Midgardian and one quarter Jotun. Your mother was a halfling, believe it or not. She chose to live on Midgard, however, for her Asgardian parent was not the kindest," Loki recalls.

"That is so cool! Not that one of my grandparents is a jerk, but that my mum was a halfling!" Kari smiles, making Loki smile as well.

"You have much to learn about your history, I suppose."

"Yeah, I suppose," Kari mocks Loki, and then giggles as he rolls his eyes.

"You are most definitely my daughter, Kari. That is all I can truly say."

"Actually, you can say a lot more than that, you are just choosing not to," Kari points out sarcastically.

"Would you like to keep learning magic?" Loki changes the topic, knowing how he used to do what she is doing, and he wouldn't stop until he had something else to be interested in.

"If you stop trying to freeze me," Kari replies sassily.

"You froze my dagger," the Asgardian retorts.

"Whatever, let's just work on the magic." Kari dismisses, and Loki smiles.

"Of course. What would you like to attempt?"

"How did you shut my mouth the first time we rode here?"

"That was a spell Frigga, my mother, taught me. She never once used it upon me, but would sometimes use it on prisoners that would not cease complaining. Eventually, I wanted to join her in silencing others, and I did so. I of course taught myself the counter spell for it, just in case," Loki admits.

"So can I learn the counter spell?" Kari questions immediately, eyes wide with wonder.

Loki chuckles. "To know the counter spell, you must first learn the spell."

"Fine, then can I learn the spell?" The child questions.

"Maybe another day. It is rather complicated. Would you like to learn anything else?"

Kari huffs, but nods. "I wanna know how to duplicate yourself. I saw it in my book, but decided it was better to have help learning it."

"We can try it, but it will not be an easy spell to master." Loki informs her.

"Let's just do it!" Kari says.

Kari practices the spell for almost two hours, but cannot master the spell. The duplicates never fully show up. They are always either transparent, or are missing a limb.

At the end of the day, Loki advises they try again another time, and he leaves the meadow with a very frustrated Kari tailing behind.