Chapter 10

Loki stands on a barren land, and sees Kari is chained to a rock, weak and bloody. Next to her, is The Other. He holds a stone in his hand, which is heavily gloved and slightly singed. When the Other squeezes the stone slightly, Kari screams in pain, her chest glowing a sinister orange. "Stop, please!" She begs, tears streaming down her face.

    Loki tries to run to his daughter, but he cannot move. He tries to shout, but no sounds escape.

    "Your father has failed us, and he will pay through you." Kari screams once more as the Other squeezed the stone, and her chest again glows orange, getting brighter and brighter, blood seeping out of random veins, and Loki can hardly watch.

     "This is what will happen Loki. You have failed us. You shall pay." The Other looks straight at Loki as he says this, still squeezing the stone, and Loki watches in horror as the light leaves his daughter's eyes, so they are now open and unseeing.

    The remaining expression on her face is nothing but pain and fear.

    Loki then sees what lies behind the Other. There was an army, bigger than the Chitauri, which must have been supplied by the Master himself. There must have been hundreds of thousands of them.

    And they were all preparing for war.

    Loki jolts awake, breathing heavily.

     Immediately, he rushes to his daughter's room, still panting. Even though it is literally right next to his, the god of mischief is concerned something might have happened and he did not hear it.

    When Loki opens the door to Kari's bedroom, she is sleeping soundly, and peacefully.

    Loki sighs in relief, wanting to cry out, except he did not wish to wake his daughter. He walks over to where she lay, and runs a hand through her thick dark hair. She sighs in content as a result, smiling slightly.

     Loki smiles back, the nightmare less of a concern for the time being.

    When Kari snuggles into her father's form, he chuckles. "You are too cute for your own good, angel." Loki whispers, kissing her forehead, before walking back to his own room.

     Taking a deep, shaky breath, Loki lays in his own bed, trying to fall asleep.

    The nightmares however, have other plans, and are too fresh in his mind to let him sleep. Staring at his wall, Loki sighs.

   He mutters a quick enchantment, before a hologram of his daughter's sleeping figure appears.

    Her soft and steady breaths lull him to sleep, and Loki once again finds himself wondering what he did to deserve Kari, for she was an angel compared to him. His angel.

    And little did he know how much she'd protect him.

     The next time Loki awakes, it is morning, and he goes to wake his daughter. When he enters her chambers, however, he finds she's already awake and standing on her balcony, gazing.

    "Good morning."

    Kari yelps and jumps, spinning around to face her father. "You scared me!" She whines.

    "Then you should be more alert." Loki replies with a smirk.

    "I am alert! I just.....drifted off, I suppose." Kari speaks, and Loki realized she is starting to talk more like an Asgardian.

    "Then do not drift off. If you were to drift off in the middle of a war, you would be dead in less than a second." Loki informs her, the memory of last night's horror seeping into his mind.