Chapter 26

Kari wakes up in her bed. She does not remember how she got there, but she figures it had something to do with Loki. Before thinking about it, she sits up and stands up.

The pain in her leg is still there, but to a lesser extremity. Kari walks with an obvious limp to the door. Before she leaves, she glances at Artemis, who is sleeping on the floor surrounded by pillows and blankets. She doesn't wake her friend, who probably needs to adjust to the time zone change, and instead, opens her spell book.

She learns one spell that might help her later, one she hasn't looked at since she was twelve. "Breaking chains." Kari whispers, and starts to read.

When she is finished reading, the princess exits her room. Kari almost collides with Calder as soon as she steps out of the doorway.

"Sorry." The two say in unison.

Kari avoids eye contact as her cheeks heat up, and Calder clears his throat in embarrassment. "So, what are you doing here?" Kari asks, breaking the silence.

"I came to check on you, see how you were faring." Calder explains. "I am faring rather well, thank you for checking." She nods in acknowledgment. "That is good to know. And how is your friend? She was rather tired last night." He notes.

"Yes, well, there is about a six hour time difference between Midgard and Asgard. It is two hours until noon here, while it is an hour after dawn there." Kari states. "No wonder she is still asleep." Calder mutters. "I am sure she will wake up soon. Artemis was always the early riser on Midgard." The sorceress comments.

She remembers how Artemis had to wake Kari up a few times if they wanted to set up the perfect prank, and how Kari almost killed Artemis because of it. Half the time Artemis would gather the materials before dawn, and then wake Kari up just as the sun rose. Although it all probably happened a little less than a year ago, Kari feels like the memories took place a decade ago.

"Good. Then she will be awake for lunch." Calder concludes. "How do you think the other Asgardians will take it? Having a mortal in the palace? We may be okay with it, but I am sure many will not." Kari thinks aloud. "What they do not know cannot hurt them. After all, many citizens do not have a clue of the upcoming war." Calder reminds her.

"And imagine how angry they will be when they find out information has been kept from them." Kari responds. "They do not lash out. The people of Asgard know that what the All-Father does, he does for the good of his kingdom. Just like what your father does, he does to protect you." Calder points out, and Kari gives him a look.

"He does not trust me to take care of myself in the fight, insisting I run and hide like I am fragile." Kari complains, although she is thankful for it. After her brief encounter with the Hefna, fear has undoubtedly taken control when anything from Misstiheim is involved, but she doesn't wish for anyone else to go through what she has.

"Why do you find any excuse to be angry at your father for protecting you?" Calder asks, knowing she was upset Loki would not let her get up the day before. "Because he is not the only one who wishes to protect their loved ones, and he does not seem to see it." She replies.

Kari doesn't say that she's not too angry at her father. She's angry at the world. She's upset that she is the cause of too many deaths, and possibly many more to come. She is ticked at the Other and his threats.

And lastly, she is absolutely livid that fate has to be so cruel as to put a bunch of kids in such predicaments.

"Then tell him that. You do not exactly wear your heart on your sleeve." Calder sighs. "I suppose I will." Kari decides.

The two look around awkwardly for a moment. "Would you like to train?" The teenage girl questions. "Are you up for it? I mean, you were just attacked-" Kari cuts Calder off. "I am fine. Do you wish to train, or not?" Kari raises both eyebrows, because she is not skilled enough to lift only one.

Truthfully, Kari is not fine. She is in a lot of pain, but she doesn't care. If the Other attacks again, she must be prepared to fight her way out once more, and survive. The pain of losing someone would be much worse than the pain she's currently feeling. "Meet me on the grounds in five." Calder says with a smirk, before rushing off, most likely to change into his armour.

Kari smirks triumphantly, before heading back in her room to get her armour on. When she enters, Artemis is awake, but looks exhausted. "Morning." Kari greets briefly, before going through her wardrobe for some armour. "How are you awake before me? You're never awake before me!" Artemis mumbles. "I woke up hardly ten minutes ago. And besides, there is a six hour time difference. It is around seven-thirty on Earth." The Asgardian states as she changes into her armour.

"Where are you going? You look like you're gonna fight someone." The Midgardian girl points out. "I am. Calder and I will be sparring. Would you like to come watch?" "Sure. It's either that or staying in your room anyway." Artemis shrugs. "What do you mean?" Kari interrogates. "Your dad says I'm not allowed to go places without you. Being from Earth and all. He suspects people won't take it well." "They most likely won't." Kari says.

A few minutes later, Kari and Artemis are heading down to the training grounds, where Calder is waiting. Kari is dressed in her green and gold Asgardian armour, while Artemis is wearing one of Kari's lavender Asgardian dresses, to try and keep her from looking out of place.

The two walk together, although Kari is slightly slower because she is limping. She does her best to hide it, but fails rather miserably. "You wish to fight when you can hardly walk?" Calder asks. "I can walk just fine. A limp does not restrict me Calder." Kari insists.

"Not until you make it worse." She hears him mutter under his breath. "Can we please just spar? If I am too injured, I will back out." Kari persuades. Artemis scoffs at this statement, but says nothing. "Fine, but if your father comes yelling at me, I am placing the blame on you." Calder declares, and Kari nods with a smirk.

The two get in defensive stances, Kari with her dagger, Calder with his sword. Without warning, Kari strikes, swiftly, silently, and metal clashes against metal. Calder maneuvers carefully, going easy on his friend, knowing her injury will slow her down.

Kari gives the fight her all, knowing she won't be fighting anytime soon anyway. She is aware Calder is holding back, but has yet to tell him.

Finally, when Calder simply goes on the defensive, Kari speaks up. "If you are not going to truly fight, then I do not know why I am."

"Kari, you're hurt. I can see it, your dad can see it, Calder can see it. Stop pretending to be fine. You keep saying you are, and you're telling Calder to press harder, but I see how you have avoided landing on your left leg the entire time you've been sparring, and you're out of breath. Don't strain yourself, or you won't heal." Artemis states.

"But I am-" "Do not say fine. We have already established you are in pain. You need to rest." Calder cautions. Kari groans, mumbles something inaudible, and sighs. "Fine. You win." She admits, and sheathes her dagger. Her leg is burning with pain, and when she looks down, she sees how the white bandages are turning red, meaning the cuts have reopened.

Kari limps to her room, Artemis following close behind. The Asgardian whispers something under her breath. "Huh?" The Midgardian asks in confusion. "I am useless." She repeats. "Kari, no. You're not useless, just hurt. And if you stop trying to fake being okay, then you'll heal." Artemis reminds.

"War is coming, and I am going to end up dead. The Other wants me, and then my father. Whether I fight or hide, I will die." Kari says. "No, you won't. Remember when we were eleven, and we got beat up by those seventh graders? They said it was our destiny to be losers." Artemis chuckles humourlessly.

"We insisted that fate was never set in stone. We can always change the rules, as long as we try hard enough. There's always a loophole." Artemis smiles. "There's always a way out." Kari nods, remembering how in New York, that was her motto. But this was Asgard, and things were different.

Kari remembers when Loki told her there wasn't always a way out in Asgard. Now, she knows she can prove him wrong. The Other and his army are coming, but Kari will find a way out. Anything to save her father, her friends, and Asgard itself.

—————————————
Sorry for such a late chapter. I was really busy yesterday and totally forgot. I'm really sorry guys!! :( -Jade