Chapter 28

It is midnight, and Kari looks around her room, panting. She once again had the Other visit her, this time scarier than ever. Artemis is sleeping soundly, and the room is quiet. Kari gets out the note she wrote a few hours ago, and leaves it on her bed for her father to see.

Without much thought, Kari gets dressed in her training outfit, the armour giving her the confidence she needs. She knows she cannot bring her dagger, for it will be taken from her, but instead brings a throwing knife, one of Loki's, small enough to fit in between the armour and leather, a place the Other wouldn't think to check.

The young teen quietly heads out of her room, to the training grounds, where the portal to Misstiheim lies. Before she enters, she spares one last look at the Asgardian palace. "I am sorry." She whispers, before entering the lost world.

It is dark, the faint light of lava guiding Kari as she attempts to find the Other. Sacrificing herself for all of Asgard is the right choice in her mind, and she can only hope that Loki does not discover the note until she is long gone.

Loki wakes up four hours after Kari leaves, another terror leaving him shaking slightly. His nerves still shot, the father heads to his daughter's room, hoping to see Kari calm and asleep, but instead finds her bed unoccupied and a note sitting on top of it, where she should be.

With unconcealed alarm, the Asgardian rushes over, barely paying attention to Artemis on the floor in a makeshift bed. Dread tugs on his heart strings as Loki gingerly picks up the note written in his daughter's neat handwriting, and begins to read it.

Dear Father,
       I am not sorry for what I am doing, because I believe it is only just. I do however, apologize for the pain and misery I know will follow my actions.
I am sacrificing myself to the Other.
It is only me he wants, as punishment for your mistakes, and I will not let him go to war on Asgard, killing any innocent people. I know you will be devastated, and I am to blame for it. But if it was one person or the entire realm, which would be the smart decision?
Please do not try and save me, for it will only get us all killed. This is my decision, and I know it is the right one. The debt will be paid, and no one shall be harmed.
Tell the rest of our family, and my friends, that I am truly sorry for the suffering and agony they will all feel, and most of all, the suffering and agony you will feel.
At least I'll get to meet my mother.

I love you, and am doing this for you father,
Karina Lokidottir

By the time he is finished reading, tears are streaming down his cheeks, and he curses in Asgardian. The extreme vexation Loki feels is radiating off of him in waves. Without a single doubt, he storms out of the room, going to find his brother and his father. He was going to retrieve Kari, even if it meant dying for her.

As Loki heads to wake his family, he mutters to himself. "Why does she have to be so much like Katherine?" He asks to no one in particular, before pounding on the door to his brother's chambers. Thor tiredly opens the door moments later, and upon seeing his enraged brother, he sighs. "What is it at this hour, Loki?"

"Kari has left to Misstiheim."

At this, Thor wakes up as if someone threw water on him. "Are you positive?" The beloved prince questions. "Yes, she has left a note about it. It is vital that I get her back." Loki states. The two gods head to Odin, who is most likely still asleep. When they find the AllFather, they discover he is actually already awake, and invites his sons in.

"What seems to be troubling you?" He asks the two men. "Kari, she has gone to the realm of Misstiheim. She has given herself up to the Other." The fear in Loki's voice startles Odin, for he is not used to the prince caring for someone. "Then we must find her." The King says as if it's the simplest thing in the world.

"But we do not even know the location of the portal." Thor points out. "How did Kari know it?" The AllFather asks. "She was there, at Misstiheim before. So she must have remembered the entrance and exit." Loki guesses. "And was there not a mortal with her? The Midgardian must know the way as well." Thor realizes.

Loki lets out a few more curse words before rushing to his daughter's room, Thor trailing behind him.

The frantic father quickly wakes Artemis, who is still sleeping soundly. "What's up?" She questions, only half awake. "Kari has gone to Misstiheim." Loki growls out. He is obviously scared, but also obviously enraged. "What?!" Artemis shoots up at this, and glances at where Kari usually sleeps. Her eyes are filled with paralyzing fear for the place her friend ventured too.

"I'm going to kill her." The mortal mutters shakily. "We need to know where the entrance is. I need to find my daughter." Loki informs her, a steely look in his eyes. Artemis, although fearful for her friend, is brave enough to give the god of mischief a look, remembering what Kari told her the morning before. "You can't go in alone. That place is like a living hell!" She argues.

Loki looks like he's going to explode with fear and anger, so Thor takes matters into his own hands, lightly pushing his brother aside. "We will not be going in alone. But we must know the way to the portal if we wish to save your friend. Please, young Artemis."

Artemis bites her lip, considering his words. "It's by the training grounds." She relents at last. "Thank you, my friend." Thor puts a hand on her shoulder to comfort her, and she smiles, her eyes flashing with joy. After all, Thor was quite famous where she was from, and she was talking to him. "Y-yeah." She squeaks, "no problem."

Loki heads to the training grounds, but his brother holds him back. "We must gather the troops first." Thor reminds, practically dragging his brother to the throne room, where Odin has called the armies to. When they arrive, Thor gives his brother a pointed look, as if knowing he will go running off on his own.

"Warriors of Asgard," Odin starts, getting everyone's attention. "As you all must have figured, there is a war upon us. The creatures of Misstiheim have taken our princess, Karina. The Other has many warriors of his own, but we will prevail!" The Kind insists, and the warriors shout in response.

"Our goal today is for us to rescue the princess and get her home safely. We will most likely come across the Hefna, and we must engage in combat if necessary. For Asgard!" The AllFather chants. "For Asgard!" The warriors repeat.

Everyone grabs their armour and weapons, preparing for a war against an entire lost realm. As they prepare, none of them notice Loki getting lost among the crowd.

None of them see Loki disappear through the portal, determined to save his daughter.