one

it felt rainy. and, okay, maybe maya felt stupid the moment she thought that because, like, how does it feel rainy? but nonetheless, it did.

and in her defense, she hadnt been outside or even bothered to open her curtain despite it being two p.m.

but, really, why would maya do either of those things when she could stay in her pajamas and continue to watch reruns of hey arnold that seemed to never end?

and if it was raining, she wouldnt be able to go outside anyways. so. yeah, that was that.

she would've continued to watch television and ignore outside life if her mom hadnt come in.

her mother was what maya liked to call a total bitch. there was absolutely nobody worse.

"you've been inside an entire week. time to get up and go outside," katy nagged, picking up some of the clothes littered around maya's room and tossing them into the hamper.

"it's raining," maya deadpanned.

"it's not raining."

"it feels like it's raining."

"maya penel-"

"don't pull out the middle name! im going outside, get out," maya groaned, watching the pleased smile grow on her moms lips before she walked out.

she pulled herself from the comfort of her bed, shivering when her bare feet touched the cold tile of her bedroom.

bedroom. could she even call it that?

they were vacationing in hawaii this summer, thanks to Shawn, her newly made stepfather and his growing paycheck.

maya dragged herself to the balcony doors, opening them up so the sunlight (which made her wince) poured light through. even in such a sour mood, maya could appreciate the warmth and the view. hawaii was a very pretty place.

she padded to her clothes, which laid unpacked in her suitcase. she promised herself to unpack once she got back, digging through to find appropriate clothes.

after very little contemplating, she pulled on her white tank top and jean shorts, a flannel over her shoulders.

she was making a statement, really. hawaii or not, she was still maya hart and maya hart didnt do bright summer clothes.

she combed her hair, letting it fall against her shoulders and brushed her teeth because even though her mood was ugly, she didnt want her breath to be, too.

after toeing on a pair of black converse and passing her mom with a glare, she was on her way to the beach, which thankfully was not far and she didnt have to break a sweat walking.