six

by the time they arrive to rileys home, a small cabin like building on the beach, maya is significantly more tired than when she left for the bonfire. she goes through half an hour of meeting her friends parents, as well as her adorable brother, but she isnt ungrateful.

cory seems amazing, an average sized man with curly hair sitting on top of his head and a kind smile. he's friendly and encouraging, and maya thinks about how lucky riley is.

topanga is just the same, though a little feistier and stronger it seems. just the same, maya admires her and adores the motherly sensation she feels when topanga talks to her.

auggie is a personality, just like riley. maya finds that he is very outspoken, and he voices his opinions as he pleases. despite that, hes a very kind kid.

once riley decides their conversation with her family is done, she takes the cups of coffee they had been sipping and leads maya up the stairs to her bedroom.

its a comfortable thing, with bright colors and pretty decorations and a bay window sitting beautiful on the opposite of the room. maya supposes that riley loves that spot the most, because she sits down and pats the cushion next to her where maya sits down at.

"did you have a good night?" riley asks, a hopeful smile on her face that maya wouldnt dare to crush.

"yeah, it was great. ill have lots to draw about later, now," the blonde responds, taking her coffee from riley and drinking from the mug.

"you draw?"

"yep."

riley leans back against the window, drawing her knees to her chest.

"can i see something sometime?"

maya furrows her eyebrows, sitting up a little straighter.

"you want to see my work?"

"of course i do. why wouldnt i?" the brunette takes a long sip from her coffee, tilting her head to the side curiously.

"im sorry, its just- nobodys asked me that before," maya admits sheepishly, staring down at her cup.

it wasnt as if people hadnt complimented her on her work, but nobody had expressed much interest in it. everyone was some form of an artist in new york. maya could sing, dance, and draw her heart out and still not turn any heads. hell, she could juggle bowling balls while riding a unicycle and still get no recognition for her talent.

riley sits up, setting her cup on the ground and taking mayas as well and doing the same. she takes both of her hands, the same riley smile on her face.

"i would be honored to see your artwork, maya," she murmurs sincerely.

maya grins, squeezing rileys hands.

"im glad i met you, riles."

the brown eyed girl simply shrugs, standing up and pressing a button on her stereo.

"come on, this is a sleepover. we're supposed to have fun!"

she takes mayas hands again, pulling her up and messily dancing around her room.

its all twirls, long limbs, and giggles, but maya thinks it might just be best night she's ever had.

as riley dances like a beginner ballerina, maya snaps a photo of her, it coming out better than expected; shes in mid-twirl, the background completely blurred and her eyes shut as she laughs.

mays wonders if she'll ever find another riley when she goes home.